Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has had a 57 chevy 2 door hardtop since the early 2000’s. It has been sitting in our shop since we got it and before that it had been in a garage for 20 years. We have had a goal to restore this car to 100% numbers matching conditions. Last fall I told my dad that we needed to get going on it. So we did we found a one piece frame that is better than the frame that the car is sitting on now. We had it power coated semi gloss black. It is not on 4 wheels with the original rear end that was with the car. Take a look at our progress so far.
Our engine and transmission are being restored as we speak. We are putting a 2x4 engine with a power glide transmission.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine and transmission restoration photos

More to come with the engine and transmission we nailed down the guy that is restoring our engine and he promised that we would have it done in 2 weeks.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
very nice work, looking good Steven. best thing is its a father/son project. will be making great memories. :tu -------------> what you guys do after lunch? :winking0070:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are some of options that we are putting on our car.

Power steering

Power brake

Spinner hubcaps

Halo mirrors

And the newest thing that we just found yesterday a autronic eye

Some other options we are putting on the car that I don’t have pictures of are.
- Rocker moldings
- Dual antenna (RH power)
- Door handle guards
- Sun visor mirror
- Day and night mirror
- Wonder bar radio
- Rear speaker
- Lighted lighter
- 3rd note horn

Some options that we are still looking for are.
- Dash compass
- Continental kit
- Windshield washer
- Power windows
- Power seats
- EZI glass
- Hood engine light
- Truck light
- Back up light
- Windshield sun visor (if I can convince my dad into it)
- Possibly a padded dash we haven’t made our mind up yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have had Mikey Domoracki help us with a lot of stuff for this car he has helped us with.

Drive train

Value covers

Hubcaps

NOS horn relay

Fuel pump

Heat riser

Some intake parts

Oil pan

Other parts he has supplied us with
- Restored all of our stainless
- Many nuts and bolts
- Correct paint for our engine

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The HORROR is right! Everyone to their own taste, but to me the optional sun-visors spoil the lines of these beautiful cars.

My dad thinks that they look better on a sedan but I don’t think they look that bad a hardtop I don’t think I will win he really does not want one and he keeps saying I’m paying for this car and I’m not putting that on it. So I guess we will just have to put one on our 55 sedan. My dad said that was fine to put one on the sedan but not a hardtop.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started a BIG inventory of all the parts that we have. We have had over 70 parts cars over the years. At least 30 of them have been 57’s we also bought 2 semi loads of 55, 56, and 57 parts. Between all of that we have kept the best parts for our 57. Here is a look of our parts. We have just about everything we need for our car and a lot of it is already restored and ready to go on the car.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,488 Posts
I also RESTORED all of their stainless trim to my highest level. I also supplied them with OEM bolts with OEM head marking that I had black Teflon coated so they could assemble their frame. A complete set of restored fuel and brake line clips. The repros are not correct for 56-57.

The drive shaft I sold and restored for them has OEM U-joints that didn't come with grease fittings, nor could ones be installed because of the design.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also RESTORED all of their stainless trim to my highest level. I also supplied them with OEM bolts with OEM head marking that I had black Teflon coated so they could assemble there frame. A complete set of restored fuel and brake line clips. The repros are not correct for 56-57.

The drive shaft I sold and restored for them has OEM U-joints that didn't come with grease fittings, nor cold ones be installed because of the design.

Thanks again Mikey we appreciate your help and expertise.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Worked on painting some inspection marks in the same color and numbers that were on our parts before we restored them. I painted the 23 as close as I could to what the original 23 looked like.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some photos today of the progress of the engine. They got behind the engine was supposed to be done about four weeks ago but it is coming along and should be done really soon.

I believe the transmission is done about three weeks ago the only thing that needed to be done was painted. I haven’t heard an update since but as soon as I get pictures I will post it.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,488 Posts
Steven,
Remove the Allen plugs in the sides of the block. Have him install hex head brass plugs instead.

57's had steel hex head plugs, brass are better

The front plug by the water pump should be a square head

Mikey

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Got some photos today of the progress of the engine. They got behind the engine was supposed to be done about four weeks ago but it is coming along and should be done really soon.

I believe the transmission is done about three weeks ago the only thing that needed to be done was painted. I haven’t heard an update since but as soon as I get pictures I will post it.
Anything special going on inside? Stock or upgrades?

Dave
:bowtieb:

1 - 20 of 284 Posts