Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
221 - 240 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Went to check on the car today it’s coming together doors and trunk have been mounted to check the fit and it looks great. It was a awesome feeling to come in and see this today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I’m getting ready to send my treadle vac off to be rebuilt but I want to make sure this is for a 57 any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Here are some updated pictures of the car the fin stainless now fits correctly and looks good. The holes have been drilled for the rear dual antennas, and autronic eye. The new tail pan has been installed and thanks to Mikey for supplying the correct trunk inserts. The trunk will be the first thing to color our guy is planning on painting it on Friday.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,488 Posts
Make DAM sure he fits the antenna before he goes any further. I have found the templates to not be 100% true. You don't want to have to adjust the holes after painting. Trust me on this MOST ALL OF THE ONES I HAVE INSTALLED NEEDED ADJUSTMENT OF THE TOP HOLE TO THE INSIDE TO MAKE SURE THE ANTENNA ARE PLUMB......!!!!!!!!

I would also caution you to NOT install the insert until after paint. You don't want a lot of new generation paint on them, or it will coat them. The original lacquer paint soaked into the material. Like this!!!!!!! After I have painted the inside of the trunk lid, I tape off the metal area
and glue each NOS insert in place. Then spray a thinned out mix about 50% reducer and spray the insert, enough to put color on it.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive design

Mikey

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Make DAM sure he fits the antenna before he goes any further. I have found the templates to not be 100% true. You don't want to have to adjust the holes after painting. Trust me on this MOST ALL OF THE ONES I HAVE INSTALLED NEEDED ADJUSTMENT OF THE TOP HOLE TO THE INSIDE TO MAKE SURE THE ANTENNA ARE PLUMB......!!!!!!!!

I would also caution you to NOT install the insert until after paint. You don't want a lot of new generation paint on them, or it will coat them. The original lacquer paint soaked into the material. Like this!!!!!!! After I have painted the inside of the trunk lid, I tape off the metal area
and glue each NOS insert in place. Then spray a thinned out mix about 50% reducer and spray the insert, enough to put color on it.

View attachment 363548

Mikey
We has both antennas I took them over to him yesterday he was going to test fit them. I am taking the Autronic eye over tomorrow to test fit that myself. Thanks again for the info on the trunk inserts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
The biggest issue we have to work with is the holes for the stainless on the passenger side 1/4 panel don’t line up with the door.

I am going to fit some stainless onto the passenger side and see what we have to do and get measurements from the driver side witch line up perfectly. We believe this is a result of replacing the rear quarter panel and the holes are a little off.

·
12,488 Posts
That is more that a little and I doubt you will be able to cover the hole with the trim. Been there done that.....not fun.

Mikey

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
He was going to mess around with the adjustment of to door to get things lined up but I will know more tomorrow when I stop by.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I’m getting ready to send my treadle vac off to be rebuilt but I want to make sure this is for a 57 any help would be appreciated.
I believe I was told in a trifive thread that one way to identify the year of the treadvac unit is to look at the base of the vacuum line right where it mounts to the treadlevac.
IIRC, the black one is from a '55 or '56, because the line is straight at the base.
The orange one is potentially from a '57, because it swells at the base and also because of the shape of the stamped steel cover.
Another way to tell is to look inside the unit, but I don't remember what detail to examine there.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Hood
Wood String instrument Gas Metal String instrument
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Sculpture Automotive tire

Looks like Jalapeno has some words on the subject here and there:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Why does it have a 69-72 truck [probably GMC] pass side ex manifold. I have seen more GMC with air pumps than Chevy.
Whoever had this engine before us put those manifolds on the engine. But it is all the correct numbers for a 57 and now looks like this!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Did he fix the big gap at the top of the door to quarter yet? Stainless would be my last issue, he can fill those holes and drill more.
Yes that was a easy fix the door just needed to be adjusted correctly he didn’t have the door adjusted when that picture was taken. Things are coming along great I think we was planning on painting the trunk lid today I was to busy to stop by today I will check tomorrow.

Reactions: LEE T

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Here are a few updates from the car

Holes have been drilled for the autronic eye but they need to be filed out a little.

Holes have been drilled for cowl tag the previous owner had filled the holes

Holes drilled for power seat anchor bracket

And most importantly we got the stainless on the passenger side figured out. The door has been hung probably and we had enough play in the clips to get the stainless to line up perfectly.

Paint on the trunk lid should come this week. Our car had to be on hold for 2 weeks. Our body guy was working on another project that needed to get finished.

·
12,488 Posts
FYI John does a nice finish on the Eye parts, but they need to be dash color.

Mikey

221 - 240 of 284 Posts