Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my car that I bought in meeker, Co at the end of July. 800 mile trip to get and trailered it home. It actually ran and drove. Been in storage for 12 to 20 years, old owner unsure of exact times. Tires looked new but were so dry rotted that would barely hold air. Had 100 miles on them. I could hardly drive it because of my increased belly size. Hold breath then turn wheel. Very little rust very little bondo three paint jobs original blue then yellow and white then red/orange and white. Red and white tuck and roll interior-fair shape. headliner poor shape with tears. Chrome mostly there in fair shape. Front end totally rebuilt to original. No wipers. Motor ran and no smoke. All glass ther but a few bb gun hits and windshield has bad crack. Original 55 265 and pg, original oil filter ,air filter and generator. Not original distributer with window and points. Put it on trailer and brought it home to New Mexico.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I plan to drive it to western invasion in Oct. Thanks to carson brooks I have a list to do for this car.
New tires including spare and rim(old one was 14 in)
change all oils
repack old style wheel bearings
grease everything
new fuel pump
new water pump
new hoses and belts
new radiater(was running a little hot)
rebuild generater
rebuild carb
new drivers door window regulater
get all lights working
new rear springs
tune up and seal vacume leaks
new windshield wiper conversion
new outside mirrors

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been daily driving this car and working on it.
done
oil changes
new tires
rebuilt generator
rebuilt carb--accelerater pump not working
new fuel pump-bad had to get another
new water pump
new radiater--wont fit had to send back-had old one tested and rebuilt
new hoses and belts
new window regulater
repaired all door panels
new fuel lines and clamps
new voltage reg and battery
steamed out fuel tank
new plugs and points and tune up--timing was over 10 degrees retarded
new coil and resister
seat moved back 4 inches--now i can drive it much better
all lights working
fuzzy dice installed??????
Still lots to do before trip--baylor

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,705 Posts
More doors = more fun.
More pictures when you can, we love pictures.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Great to see another 4 door get the love it deserves. Congratulation on your purchase and keep posting.

68,758 Posts
cool 55, good read baylor. looks like you and I think like my sig.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the XXXXXcarter sorted out today and the metal trim pieces interior sanded primed and painted white. the PO had rattle caned them and the white was peeling off and the blue showing.next job is the pg lines to radiater then the exhaust system. then the rear springs,axlebearings and diff bearings then--O my im tired.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sounds like you're making really good progress, Baylor. Today is a carb day for me as well, I just work a whole lot slower than you apparently!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really. I have been working on this $250 rebuilt carb for three days tring to get it all ok. going back out to fix the hold down bolt for air cleaner stock one. Then baking soda clean and paint battery box. Then go for a short drive to check everything out.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not really. I have been working on this $250 rebuilt carb for three days tring to get it all ok. going back out to fix the hold down bolt for air cleaner stock one. Then baking soda clean and paint battery box. Then go for a short drive to check everything out.
That's frustrating to have to do on a rebuilt carb. When I spend money, I expect stuff to work. My rebuild kit from QuadrajetParts.com isn't great but it was only $30.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel the same. Not being real swift on carters i sent it to the "best carb man in town" they had to buy a custom kit 100$and 150 inlabor. then I had to make it work.I am not happy. O well live and learn. Next to find a quality xmission rebuilder. Since I am 74 not able to do it all myself.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Is your old powerglide shot, or are you just being proactive?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems to run ok and shifts ok. But its condition is unknon so with the 800 mile trip coming im being careful also pulling diff and checking it and new bearings on the axles. Just to besafe and secure.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If it runs and shifts ok, I'd probably just put fresh fluid in and run it, same as the diff. If there wasn't a bunch of metal in the oil and it doesn't make noise, I'd put fresh fluid in and call it a day. You always risk breakdown, but that's a risk no matter what, especially in cars this age. There's probably enough stuff that actually needs fixing and will reveal itself when you start driving it around.

In my humble opinion, the best way to make sure the car is reliable for a road trip is to start driving it ASAP, anywhere and everywhere. Breakfast runs, groceries, whenever you can. The weak points will show themselves pretty quickly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it runs and shifts ok, I'd probably just put fresh fluid in and run it, same as the diff. If there wasn't a bunch of metal in the oil and it doesn't make noise, I'd put fresh fluid in and call it a day. You always risk breakdown, but that's a risk no matter what, especially in cars this age. There's probably enough stuff that actually needs fixing and will reveal itself when you start driving it around.

In my humble opinion, the best way to make sure the car is reliable for a road trip is to start driving it ASAP, anywhere and everywhere. Breakfast runs, groceries, whenever you can. The weak points will show themselves pretty quickly.
Been driving it every day. Making a whining sound and diff growls. Back seat is out for now so it is louder than normal. next week it will get about 30 miles a day then we will see. I really appreciate your help. Mayby I am overconcerned.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts