Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

121 - 140 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
My '55 with QA1 coil overs adjusted up tight, also with Ball joint spacers, Tires are Firestone 670-15s and 255/60-15 Cragar fronts have 165/80-15s View attachment 215648

View attachment 215650

View attachment 215656
PERFECT stance!! How does it ride with the coilovers maxed out?
I bought a pair of stock height spindles that I'm going to swap for the dropped spindles that are on the car now, which should net me another couple of inches up front. I'll also be picking up a set of Towel City pie crusts for it over the winter. It's getting there!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Great progress on the transformation:tu stance is key to give these cars their just right look. All three cars are looking great.... Smokin Bill ....whatever you are working on you nail it... on creating that perfect stance. I always say altitude creates attitude. My Del Ray will soon get a height adjustment. I am going to try a set of 66 Chevelle BBC front coils and new Leafs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
heres a few pics of my 55. I have the 66 chevelle bb springs with ball joint spacers and wagon rear leafs. Rides decent handles good and is street driven lots of miles!. I drive to and from the dragstrip where its a regular in the street class. We did dragweek in 2017 , without o/d. I drive this thing everywhere and anywhere. Rough railroad tracks are brutal tho...but they are in my stock 57 also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
heres a few pics of my 55. I have the 66 chevelle bb springs with ball joint spacers and wagon rear leafs. Rides decent handles good and is street driven lots of miles!. I drive to and from the dragstrip where its a regular in the street class. We did dragweek in 2017 , without o/d. I drive this thing everywhere and anywhere. Rough railroad tracks are brutal tho...but they are in my stock 57 also.
The 66 Chevelle springs look to give the altitude I'm after. Thanks. :tu

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Great progress on the transformation:tu stance is key to give these cars their just right look. All three cars are looking great.... Smokin Bill ....whatever you are working on you nail it... on creating that perfect stance. I always say altitude creates attitude. My Del Ray will soon get a height adjustment. I am going to try a set of 66 Chevelle BBC front coils and new Leafs.
Thanks!! I still have the spindles to swap out, so the nose will got about 2" higher. then the cheater slicks should add about another inch out back.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Bad ass, man!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
Got my pair of cheater slicks from Towel City. I gotta say these things are super nice. I sprung for the new radial casings and custom grooving. I am really impressed with these. I'll be getting them mounted on a pair of torq thrust d wheels.

·
Premium Member
12,338 Posts
Those are cool. The tread pattern grooves are interesting also. Might help to squeeze out some water if you get caught in the wet too.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Those are cool. The tread pattern grooves are interesting also. Might help to squeeze out some water if you get caught in the wet too.
That was my thinking, even if it's wishful. :D
They will also do the whole tire in that crosshatch pattern if you like. I preferred this look. They're not nearly as sticky as a real race slick, so the small loss in contact patch doesn't concern me. I got them simply because they'll look the part on a late-60's gasser tribute.

·
Premium Member
12,338 Posts
They will also do the whole tire in that crosshatch pattern if you like. I preferred this look. They're not nearly as sticky as a real race slick, so the small loss in contact patch doesn't concern me. I got them simply because they'll look the part on a late-60's gasser tribute.
A stupid thought is that they'll leave a neat mark in damp sand. Another one is to not commit any crimes anywhere, because the cops will be able to track you no problem. lol

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have Towel City on both of my gassers, and they are pretty sticky. I'd call them equal to a drag radial since they hook as well as the M&H drag radials I took off hen I went with Towel City. I called Towel City and spoke with the guy who does these tires and specifically asked how soft the tread was on their cheater slicks. He told me they were a "medium compound" which is similar to a D compound for slicks. Good combination of traction, but decent wear also.
Mine are on plain center old style Torq Thrust on my coupe, and ET slots on my Austin.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I have Towel City on both of my gassers, and they are pretty sticky. I'd call them equal to a drag radial since they hook as well as the M&H drag radials I took off hen I went with Towel City. I called Towel City and spoke with the guy who does these tires and specifically asked how soft the tread was on their cheater slicks. He told me they were a "medium compound" which is similar to a D compound for slicks. Good combination of traction, but decent wear also.
Mine are on plain center old style Torq Thrust on my coupe, and ET slots on my Austin.

I'd agree with that evaluation. Definitely softer than a typical radial, but certainly not a slick. Any added traction will be welcome!!
My wheels look just like that, but I run a flat machined aluminum cap.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #138

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I usually run flat caps at the rear too, and my last two gassers I ran flat caps. These are brand new wheels on my '39 so I put the factory caps on it. But I'll likely build a pair of flat caps eventually and swap them on the wheels.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I usually run flat caps at the rear too, and my last two gassers I ran flat caps. These are brand new wheels on my '39 so I put the factory caps on it. But I'll likely build a pair of flat caps eventually and swap them on the wheels.
I had been running without for a while, since I always though it was cool looking to have the axle manufacturer decal showing, but the axle ends on my Quick 9" started to rust sooooo.......

121 - 140 of 222 Posts