Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, when I was younger it was so easy to focus on whatever needed to be done… Too bad I wasn’t thinking about the “big picture” later on.
Here are a few shots of the “project” I have started on my 1955 210 that’s been with my family since 1973. My brother gave this to me a few years ago as my previous post told and I will be repairing what has been neglected from then and beyond.
The cool thing is where it sits right now; much to my wife’s chagrin, the Garage!

I couldn’t see how the heck to take off the windshield stainless in the sun...so I moved it in the garage! I might add that the instructions on the Tri-Site about “HOW to remove the trim” didn’t work for me. While I didn’t mess up the trim I surely could have with my frustration…. I did however have patience and removed the bottom trim around the windshield and all is as good, with the trim, as it was when I started.
So a few things to tackle right off the bat will be the Tail-pan/Brace and last 2” of the trunk floor. I say last 2” because I can’t see that it has traveled more than that. Actually right at the bend would be sufficient. However I haven’t had it blasted off yet so there may be WAY more oxidized than I think there is now. Maybe yous guy’s have a better idea, I can’t know… I did ask Robert about Epoxy primers and how he apply’s them along with if they are all the same and have come to the conclusion that I will be using Martin Senour automotive line from here on out. K-36 is good stuff though, my 72 C10 did like it…

One more problem I really want to know how to fix is my hood… The danged “X” let kids, a dog, or herself jump on it and flippin Cracked it and oil-canned it pretty bad or at least I think it is.

So; I have my wife’s approval, my daughter thinks she’s gonna drive it to school when she get her license, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and I have half a plan. I pretty much know how to do this; one under my control so far and with enough money I’ll be drivin in about 20 years! HAHAHAHA. Hopefully sooner than that…
As soon as I uncover more I'll be a reportin promptly!
Cheers
Larry McCarley

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry!

Never fails though every time I look at something else I uncover a bunch! Nothing I can't handle with enough material but man, I thought I was startin with much better.
I thought the same thing with my 72 C10 too; left rocker panel was completely gone and I didn't even see it coming. Not that I was lookin mind you.

Thanks again for the reply and encouragement.

Larry McCarley

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Keep pressing on!!!! you can do alot wih only a little money an dhen the real fun begins. Yous looks better than what I started with. My daughter wants to drive away from the wedding but hope she doesnt ge married for about ten years lol
greg:anim_25:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only spent about $50.00 so far and it's just for supplies for me tools.

Thanks for the encouragement guys I’m moving forward starting with the Tail pan area.
I removed the Tail-pan first to reveal what was underneath. So it looks pretty bad but as the caption in the photo says it really isn’t as bad as I thought but will require the normal Tail pan, Tail pan brace and rear section of the trunk floor. From underneath so far I won’t have to replace all 10” of floor, looks like just to the edge is all it really needs. Won’t know absolutely for sure till that part is exposed I guess. Take a look at that progress and your suggestions are very welcome.

After I got the Tail-pan off I started looking at the Tail light area and how to get it off to straighten it and to free up the corner of the Trunk floor to boot. What I started to expose was what appears to have been body work on top of the assembly lead. At least that’s what I’m thinking is the reason for a couple pounds of lead right at the back leading down the seam plus an amount of bondo to boot. There is a hole in the quarter side of the tail light area that I assume would be for a V8 emblem but it’s such a big hole. Maybe you all will know about that one too.

Then I went to that top of the left tail light area to expose the seam and another large amount of lead was there too. Man I mean if they wanted ballast for weight distribution they sure could have gotten it. It flowed out on the floor like a water fall.

I think this car got hit on the left side pretty bad in it’s short life on the road… Since 1973 at least it ain’t been in an accident.
Hopefully in a few more minutes I’ll get it to the point of removal and see just how bad it really is.

Now; who distributes the very best sheet metal that actually fits, with the least amount of alteration in Southern California, so I can drive to pick it up?

Thanks for looking and enjoy the last few hours of your Sunday.

Cheers

Larry McCarley

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys that is the plan... I just pulled the fuel tank out and

it's been sitting at least since 1975 with little or no gas in it. I figured it'd be a rusted mess...but it isn't!:) I can't believe just a little haze of stuff in it but I'd have bet' if I hooked a fuel line to it and filled it up; that is if it had an engine in it, it would have not clogged a fuel filter and probably ran from then on. It does have a dent in it though so I'll have to figure out how to get that out if I decide continue to use it. Amazing what the dry climate of the desert will not destroy when you neglect something for this long.

Cheers

Larry McCarley

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little progress though as slow as a Tortise.

Moving along; trying to find the problem areas where I’ll have to do the most work, is a lot of work in itself!
In front of the Left rear wheel I knew there was damage under the paint but didn’t know how much. I removed the “bondo” of which the thickest piece I’ve uncovered so far was .250 and there was a lot that was this thick.
Here is a shot before I started digging in to see just how much they decided to apply.

It doesn’t look that bad in the photo but when I ran a straight edge on the rocker under the door to the wheel opening there was a noticeable depression of almost a ¼” so I knew there was damage. I looked inside the cab and noticed that someone had cut a sizable piece of the inner body under the Quarter window away to fix the problem…along with a piece where the sill plate goes.

After I started removing the bondoit started to reveal a lot of damage but the person that applied the “bondo” did a heck of a job matching the contours. As the photo’s reveal though they covered a lot of damage, but the damage looks like it could have been straightened without using as much “bondo” as they used. A few more shots to show all the “bondo.”

Now the strange part are the holes. It appears whomever did the body work used a torch to cut these holes in the body, I suppose to hold the “bondo” in place and I might add; this stuff was stuck to the metal rather well and in places there were no holes but where the holes were it too held well.

So, here goes looking for more problems and seeing what more I can uncover. Oh yea; the doors are really a mess… I put an ice pick right through many little paint bubbles to reveal lots of rust damage from years of water laying in the doors where the insulation had fallen to the bottom. Oh well its fun to get to the point of knowing just what I need to do to repair all this. Looks like a little more sheet metal will be bought down the road.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Cheers while enjoying a Guinness Extra Stout!!!

Larry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's always interesting what you find under old body work...fortunately you did not find my rusty '55 lurking under the bondo! Hang in there, it is a bit discouraging to find set backs , but it was easy everybody would have one!:anim_25:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey Larry

i'm not sure what the hole is under the taillight.

looks like whom ever did the lead work was an amature<sp>. coming along nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts