Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Nova 194 six is kinda a small engine, but with the right gearing, will do the job. It's also a front sump engine; the 56 is a rear sump chassis. Not sure how that will all work out, but I think a rear sump pan will be needed. You'll need a rear sump oil pan, oil pump, and pickup. You'll also need a V-8 Tri-Five bell-housing and clutch setup to make things easier to swap in the later style six (that has a V-8 pattern bell-housing flange). One last issue with the engine, and swapping to a rear sump, you'll lose the oil dipstick; it goes through the block up by the distributor, and won't work with a rear sump; had a problem once with a rear sump 250 going into a 66 Chevy II, and also lost the dipstick. But, the cars a model 150, and I love 150's. Post your progress.One last thing, welcome. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
Thank you! I needed that technical information.. I obtained the engine before getting the car.. I will check, but I believe the 194 was the same block, parts as a 235 six, which should bolt in... Possibly the two speed powerglide that is attached to the engine for the time being.. the 194 will be bored out later and adjusted to be a 235 with slightly higher compression for the smaller head, all going well, then headers, possibly turbo? ... Lol
The Nova 194 six is kinda a small engine, but with the right gearing, will do the job. It's also a front sump engine; the 56 is a rear sump chassis. Not sure how that will all work out, but I think a rear sump pan will be needed. You'll need a rear sump oil pan, oil pump, and pickup. You'll also need a V-8 Tri-Five bell-housing and clutch setup to make things easier to swap in the later style six (that has a V-8 pattern bell-housing flange). One last issue with the engine, and swapping to a rear sump, you'll lose the oil dipstick; it goes through the block up by the distributor, and won't work with a rear sump; had a problem once with a rear sump 250 going into a 66 Chevy II, and also lost the dipstick. But, the cars a model 150, and I love 150's. Post your progress.One last thing, welcome. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
I am hoping you are wrong, however I will check the sump location

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I really appreciate the tech information!! I hadn't considered sump orientation. I hope you are wrong.. but I expect I am. The 194 is as I understood, an under-bored 235, the plan is to bore it, and end up with a 235 ish engine slightly high compression.. headers, 4 barrel intake ... Etc.. but should I fail, the engine is a cheap lesson..

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I really appreciate the tech information!! I hadn't considered sump orientation. I hope you are wrong.. but I expect I am. The 194 is as I understood, an under-bored 235, the plan is to bore it, and end up with a 235 ish engine slightly high compression.. headers, 4 barrel intake ... Etc.. but should I fail, the engine is a cheap lesson..
Sorry but the 194 and 235 have very little in common. The block & head are completely different the 235 uses shaft rockers the later engine has studs just for a start. The thing that really makes the swap difficult is the bellhousing pattern is different too.
The 194 230 250 & 292 are the same family and share a lot of common parts and also have the same bellhousing pattern as all small block and big block V8's but none of them were available until 1963.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.