Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to post some progress pics on my '57 project that I bought 20 months ago. Car was painted probably 25-30 years ago and then just sat. I pulled the body off the frame, sandblasted the frame and rebuilt the front suspension, found a '57 2x4 motor and had it rebuilt, had the dash and trunk painted, and working on installing new wiring and interior. Thought I might get it on the road yet this season, but that may not happen. This car is the same color combo as the '57 I had back in the '70s.

·
Registered
65,811 Posts
nice work, I'm loving it. :tu

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
Nice . MIke

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Oh my gosh love that year. almost got one when I was 18 right out of high school. guess it was just as well had a hard time keeping the girls away as it was. ha ha. keep us posted on your progress withsome pics thanks for sharing.:flag6: by the way did finally get a 59 vette was black like yours.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, progress was a little slower over the winter than I had hoped. A couple of weekends ago it was 60 degrees out and I had to get my son's car on the lift, so I rolled it out and took a couple of pics. I found a used set of Cragars and BFG tires at a decent price, so those are on. The seats finally got re-covered, and the exhaust is on for the most part. I still have a lot of bolt on engine parts to do, finish some wiring under the dash (I installed all new wiring on the car) and put the glass in the doors, weatherstripping on the doors, door panels and trim, etc, etc. The deck lid needs to be repainted yet, too. Hopefully I'll get it running and on the road at least by early summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The ole girl is looking very nice, like the carb setup!:bowtier:

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
Coming together good job. MIke

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
I really like the black and red combo, you are going to have quite a nice car when you're done. Love the single headlight cars but I don't fit in any of the C1's very well! lol.
My buddy just finished his black 57 with an aluminum head 409. You wouldn't happen to have an extra hard top would you?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Very nice! Not much beats a black/red color combination...that's what my '55 will be. My '62 Vette is black/black-too much of the original black interior was in too good of condition to replace. Looking back, I wish I would have changed it to red.

You've got a beautiful car, sir.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! That actually helps getting my motivation up a notch.

I really like the black and red combo, you are going to have quite a nice car when you're done. Love the single headlight cars but I don't fit in any of the C1's very well! lol.
My buddy just finished his black 57 with an aluminum head 409. You wouldn't happen to have an extra hard top would you?
Jim, I actually am one of those guys that doesn't do anything more than store the hartop- I always drive with the top down. The hardtop is in pretty decent shape, and I actually bought a new red headliner for it, (not installed) but it needs new weatherstripping, as it's too hard and inflexible to set on a nice paint job. Send me a pm if he's interested.

Rich

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
Lookin good. Mike

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I REALLY love that in-out combination. I just REALLY hope you don't paint the cove. I REALLY like the solid color best.
Mine is red with red/black interior (ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, I know, red/black interior is not correct).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The interior took me way longer than I would have thought. I polished all of the original stainless pieces and installed them on new repro panels. The curved piece fought me every inch of the way on both panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also finally installed the grille:

Oh, and Tom- I have no intention of painting the cove, as this car replicates the one I had back in the 70's, which was all black.:tu

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts