Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I were on our way to a car show today. While I was driving, we both smelled very strong gas fumes. I pulled over immediatly (my car is fuel injected) and my fuel line had come loose! Gas was spraying all over my manifold and was actually bubbling from the heat! At first, it looked like the line had busted but it was the clamp that had come loose. It was in a hard place to get to but my friend came and fixed it.
We finally got to the car show before registration had ended and I actually won best GM out of a 140 cars!
I thank the Lord we made it through today ok... it could have been a real disaster.
Greg
:angel10:
http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad136/ultrajet150/My 1957 150/?albumview=slideshow

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts
Wow you are lucky, Do you carry a fire ext. I know I got one first thing mounted in my Trunk.....Otis
Mounted in the trunk :confused0006:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice save!! Glad You caught it in time and got to the show on time, and became a winner!! way to go congrats!! However I hope you get a fire extinguisher immediately!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
EFI & hose clamps????

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
I stood on the side of the road and watched my beautiful 67 Chevelle burn. One of those pretty little glass inline fule filters came apart at approx 65 MPH spraying fuel all over the engine compartment. You are very lucky.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Greg I'm sure your thanking your "Lucky Stars" You were very very lucky... I do carry a fire extiniguisher under my right arm in my arm rest and I don't have to have a key to get to it... Later Dave

·
Registered
66,294 Posts
your a lucky man greg and congrats on that win. :five: first thing i get for my cars are an extinquisher. keep it at arms reach. had in trunk, but thought that location was not the best place. :confused0006:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Glad to hear you cuaght the problem before it became a REAL.... problem.

I watched a '55 Chevy 2-door Sedan burn in the parking lot of the school I attended high school once. The owner had installed the super, cool clear gas hose from the pump to the carb. The hose weakened and burst which let gas spray all over the engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I keep one between the door and driver seat and ANOTHER one on driver side of the rad support--in case something goes 'poof' while I'm tinkering under the hood. Got several others close by in the garage--

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Apparently a guy at work wasn't so lucky on Saturday morning. After he went in to work, his truck cuaght fire. Another guy came a few minutes later and saw it and called 911. They said there were 6' flames coming out of the hood! Didn't ruin the inside, but the FD smashed out the window anyway and hosed down the dash. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
FIRE

Every year at the first of the season I make sure I go to an event that has the FREE NSRA inspections. It never hurts to have a different set of eyes look your ride over for safety reasons. Fire extinguisher in the interior of the vehicle is what is recommended and with that and a third brake light you get the extra points on the inspection. I bet if you asked a fire department about location they would not advise engine compartment (might be too hot from a fire) or trunk (minutes wasted unlocking). If I have driven allot I just might have a re-inspection during the season. This doesn't mean I don't check belts, hoses, clamps, etc. myself it's just a different set of eyes might see something I missed. I think they have a good safety program and you just can't beat the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts