Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try and describe/show how I'm fixing my fixing my fender on my belair. This is the way that I'm doing it, so tips and help is always welcome!

After the fender removal, I started taking off the trim, after I put on some penetrating oil on the back of the clips.....I used a 3/8 socket.

The brackets here, I used a 1/2 socket and more penetrating oil...

Now I don't know about yall, but this is how I keep up with my nuts/bolts during my assembly and disassembly...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more

After getting the trim off, I had a couple of clips that would not come off the fender (nut on the back wouldn't come off, rusted on), I took my die grinder and cut off the round "head" in the middle of the clip. After you do this, the clip falls off...

Then, I go find some aircraft stripper paint remover, and put it on pretty thick with a paint brush.......DO NOT GET THIS STUFF ON YOU, IT BURNS!!!!!! And it is AGRESSIVE!!!

This is what it looks like right after it is applied, it does this as fast as I can apply it.

Then, I scrape it off with a cheap ol putty knife,

AND AGAIN, DO NOT LET THE BLISTERED UP PAINT GET ON YOUR SKIN, IT WILL STICK THERE, THEN START BURNING!!!! Of course it won't kill you, but you WILL be looking for the nearest water spicket, ask me how I know....

After 2 applications, this is what it looks like.

Then, it's onto the DA sander

Then flip it over and start on the other side....

I found a couple dents that need to be addressed while sanding, so I circled them using a permanent marker....

..........(NEXT STEP IS SANDBLASTING AROUND EDGES AND HARD TO REACH PLACES WITH THIS)....

Cheap harbor freight blaster.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fender trouble

Here's the SAND and TRASH that came out from behind the fender inner structure and the fender skin while I was sanding it with the DA. So I'm gonna to all my body work to the fender BEFORE I take the bracing off and address it. It's got to come off, I know there is some damage behind there, and I'm not going to let it ride back there and come back to haunt me later.

Plans it to take the brace off, sand blast it, replace metal, POR 15 it, POR15 the back of the fender, then weld it back on.

Stay tuned!...........

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Looks like you have a good bag-n-tag plan there. I did the same to most of mine. most being the screw-up option.:D The fender looks like most of them out there.
Terry

·
Registered
386 Posts
welding with por-15

use caution when applying the por-15 it dosent like to be welded to, try useing the weld thru primer in those places where you plan on welding then after welding apply the por-15 in any case your doing a bang up job of cleaning up that fender. :tu

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
todays progress

inside of fender sanded

outside of fenders sanded and sandblasted around the hard to get to areas....

Brackets sandblasted.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice work. Looking forward to more of your post! I used butter dishes to put my clips, nuts and bolts in and wrote on the lids what was inside. The bag idea is nice because you can see inside without opening it up, cool idea.

68,758 Posts
nice job and progress dmoss. thanks for update and all the great pics. :five:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Nice work. I'll be there soon. Haven't started on my fenders yet but they are stripped down . Have typical holes in the lower section , about 3 inch round. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ospho

There's a couple of spots that had a little pitting in the fender, so I'm gonna treat it with OSPHO, let it do it's majic, and that'll give me the treatment for those AND some time to get the rest of the repairs done to the fenders. I'll keep the updates comming.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
starting to find dents, hammer and dolly work....

My shrinking disk wouldn't fit my grinder, lock nut too thick, so I stopped with the dent and started taking the fender apart. Time to drill out the spot welds to seperate the struckture apart from the skin, to treat the metal behind it.....

Cheap harbor freight spot weld cutter.....

Amazingly, the area behind the structure bar was not as bad as I figured it would be (besides at the lower, but I knew that was bad), but I am glad I got it off so I can treat it now. Am I going to do the other fender, prob so just for piece of mind.

I'll keep updates comming.....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
starting to find dents, hammer and dolly work....

My shrinking disk wouldn't fit my grinder, lock nut too thick, so I stopped with the dent and started taking the fender apart. Time to drill out the spot welds to seperate the struckture apart from the skin, to treat the metal behind it.....

Cheap harbor freight spot weld cutter.....

Amazingly, the area behind the structure bar was not as bad as I figured it would be (besides at the lower, but I knew that was bad), but I am glad I got it off so I can treat it now. Am I going to do the other fender, prob so just for piece of mind.

I'll keep updates comming.....

Very nice work!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Fine work!!!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fender work

Here's fender before......

Here's the rust removal pic....

Heres the new panel "wheeled" out with cheap habor freight e-wheel....

Here's the part where I almost pulled my hair out with the tig machine.....

I did go back and get alot of this taken care of, but at first, I was about ready to throw in the towel! I'm ok now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your good and organized! Yup tig takes lots of patents. I've been using a Lincoln SP125 buzz box on mine.. Just because I have no hair to pull out. LOL Looks great though. Geo.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
:sign0020: on finishing fthe fienders but remember por 15 is toxic when welding on it be careful and :anim_25:

:gba:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
planishing welds

Thank you all for your replies!

I planished out the welds, and the metal returned back to shape. Of course, those who don't know, you need to grind any proud (extra metal, or humps) of metal down to the surface of the original sheetmetal, on BOTH sides before planishing.

Also, as MP&C pointed out, where there's more HAZ (discolorization), there's more planishin to be done in those areas.

One more thing, I tried using filler rod from welding store, smallest I have is 1/8" round rod, it was too big. I ended up using. 024 mig wire for a filler, and it worked like a charm!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts