Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new 350 engine installed in my 57' bel air....he went with a single wire altenator....runs great!...but there's no brake light, no turn signals, and no horn.....what did he do?......i noticed he removed the voltage regulator and the 3 wires are sitting there unattached.........can i still use a regulator and connect those wires or do i have to trace the wires and reconnect them another way.......thanks for some help!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just had a new 350 engine installed in my 57' bel air....he went with a single wire altenator....runs great!...but there's no brake light, no turn signals, and no horn.....what did he do?......i noticed he removed the voltage regulator and the 3 wires are sitting there unattached.........can i still use a regulator and connect those wires or do i have to trace the wires and reconnect them another way.......thanks for some help!
You do not need a regulator when using an alternator, as it's built in..(rectifirer)...sounds like you need to complete the circuit from them wires, as you will have no supply to the main fuse box, in which more than likely powers the things not working...

Cheers Bob

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
The horn relay was originally powered by the red wire on the voltage regulator. Extend the red wire from the old voltage regulator location to the output post of the alternator and the horn should work. "Disconnect the battery first". You don't need the brown and blue wires that went to the voltage regulator. They both went to the old generator. You can tape them or remove them from the harness.
Are the brake and turn signals the only lights that don't work? Check the 9 amp fuse on the fuse panel. Does the radio or heater blower work?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
That Red wire Originally ran directly from the Battery to the Voltage Regulator and then to the Horn Relay. Short story...Do as acardon suggested..LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts