Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Excellent slide show. I'm still working at my chassis. I have had to rebuild the left and right rear corners of my chassis. Also repaired the right rail in front of the spring hanger. I got the kit from East Coast Chevy to mount the rear springs under the rails so that was part of the chassis work I've done. Once I get the chassis done I will start on the body. The floor boards are very porous and around the wheel wells and along the edges of the trunk floor are gone. The only good mounts are the firewall mounts. The rest have disappeared.
Dave

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave.

Wish I had pictures of the old floorpans, and rockers etc, I replaced all the floor pans full length and the inner and outer rockers etc, plus some braces, so I will make sure to get more photos as time goes along.

Otis:)

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Dave are the rear corner repairs from rust or from pulling with a chain,tear out. My rear frame corners were torn out from pulling something with a chain, or that is what it appeared to be. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
The salt and rust had thinned the metal down to paper thickness in some places. I've been using a chipping hammer to go over the chassis. If it dent easily or penetrates then I replace the area surrounding it. I'm moving the rear springs inboard so that they sit right under the rails. East Coast Chevy has a kit to do this so that you can run a wider tire if you do a mini-tub to the wheel wells. This car was picked up in Conn. and was built in Tarrytown, N.Y.. Had critters living inside the right frame rail and the bottom side of it was gone. I've been using 3/16ths flat stock for the repairs.
Dave

·
Registered
198 Posts
spring relocation kit

what size tires can you run once you have moved the springs inboard? right now i'm using 275-60-15 but i had to do some work on the inner lip or the pass. side would rub on a turn

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I don't know how big you can go on the tires yet. The springs now sit in about 3 to 4 inches from original. When I measured outside of spring to outside of spring and the same on spring pads on the housing there is about 8 inches different. You also need to move the inside of the wheelhouse in to line up with the frame to get the max width.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts