Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am using a pair of roll-around engine stands (from Stumpy's Fab Works; these are simple SBC "Wide" stands) to move the engine around in the garage; here's a shot of them attached, and another where I swung the oil drainback pipe out of the way so that I could put all 4 bolts into the adapter plates:

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, so I made some progress . . . after using two different engine tilt units and then simply chains to hook up the engine to my hoist, I was finally able to get it and the transmission installed to the point where I am now just working on fitting everything in where I want it to be.

The original owner had welded frame mounts with a tubular piece of steel onto a set of stands, and apparently, these were designed for the thicker motor mounts than what was attached to the SBC when I got the car . . . he had attached them to the block with washers behind the mount to space it the mounts out . . . not a good solution . . .

So, I ordered a set of Moroso SBC Mount Shims . . . they should be here in a day or two; the kit includes 2 x 1/16", 2 x 1/8" and 2 x 3/16" shims, so between those, I should be able to get the engine attached to the frame mounts.

The only intereference point I had was with the existing brake booster and the left valve cover, so I'll either get an offset bracket for that, or switch to Hydroboost.

Also, the transmission seems to have plenty of clearance to the tunnel so far . . . I haven't worked on getting the angle yet, but will report back with pictures once I do.

Here are some pictures showing it close to where it needs to be in the chassis, and the clearances this engine has with the stock Camaro oil pan and exhaust manifolds--this is while using the 3rd set of bolt holes in the ICT motor mount adapters, which puts the face of the bellhousing 2-1/4" forward of the location of the SBC bellhousing face

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Auto part Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Car
Font Parallel Paper Urban design Advertising

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
What a neat project I just wonder if you have looked at the Muscle Rods LT kit for tri fives looks like a good set up with engine mounts headers & crossmember. I used they're LS engine mounts & headers on my 70 Monte Carlo when swapping to a LS several years ago not cheap but worked well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What a neat project I just wonder if you have looked at the Muscle Rods LT kit for tri fives looks like a good set up with engine mounts headers & crossmember. I used they're LS engine mounts & headers on my 70 Monte Carlo when swapping to a LS several years ago not cheap but worked well.
I haven't looked at their stuff, but finding LT-specific stuff has turned out to be a bit difficult . . . not a lot of stuff out there, especially stuff for the Front End Accessory Drive . . . everything is MUCHO Expensive, probably double or more what most LS-specific accessory drive kits run . . .

I purchased the Holley 20-200P Polished setup, because this car came with lots of bling under the hood already (all those parts of course are for sale now--you can see the Power Steering pump in the picture here)

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
I mentioned them because I'm planning on changing my Patriot mid length headers to a set of long tube & was looking on they're site to see the LS headers they offer & then got to looking at the LT swap items looks like they have it all mounts headers crossmember & accessory drive just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I mentioned them because I'm planning on changing my Patriot mid length headers to a set of long tube & was looking on they're site to see the LS headers they offer & then got to looking at the LT swap items looks like they have it all mounts headers crossmember & accessory drive just thought I'd mention it.
Looks like you're referring to brphotrods.com . . . I did indeed review their stuff, but didn't need anything other than engine mount adapters for my swap . . . went with the ICT stuff instead.

The stock Camaro exhaust manifolds fit fine, and I saw a video where someone replaced the stock manifolds with long tube headers, high flow cats, and the rest of the exhaust system, as well as a Cold Air Induction system, and in the end, they only gained 25HP . . . not worth it to me to spend the kind of money the header vendors are charging for an extra 25HP

Their accessory drive kits are for the Truck engines, which means I'd have had to purchase truck water pump, an alternator and truck dampener, along with all the idlers, bolts for those and everything is black powder coated . . . I needed polished or chromed components to match what I took out

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Looking good! The LT seems to have a few more obstacles than an LS, but should work really well; I suspect a new Camaro SS is a bit heavier than a tri five, and the LT carries it to 115 or so in the quarter. Impressive stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got the engine and transmission sitting on the mounts, and based on my angle finder, it's got around 4-degrees of downward tilt . . . I installed the engine harness, the transmission harness and the engine cover (and insulator) that I took off to install the engine . . . I am using the hole vacated by the clutch master cylinder to route the associated wiring into the interior for the accelerator pedal, the OBD-II port, etc.

I had to use an offset bracket to move the Brake Booster over, because it was hitting on the left valve cover, and I ended up using the 4th set of engine mount bolt holes in the ICT Billet adapters

Next up, I'll install the Holley 20-200P Polished Accessory Drive kit . . .

Here's the picture of the engine right now:

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,880 Posts
Based on what I am seeing, I'm pretty sure the stock Camaro Exhaust Manifolds will fit the chassis . . .

Headers will always make more power than stock manifolds, there is a series on Youtube by Richard Holdener, where he proves this, along with a lot of other comparisons . . . it's worth your time to check out his channel . . .
Headers will also always bring more problems than stock manifolds (which are very good and almost 'header like' in performance). Headers have 'fit' problems, they leak and are noisy.. and will ultimately rust out... WHY do you want/need that extra few hp given the problems headers bring?

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
A n even larger 'beauty cover' over the engine, with a photo of a 'hottie' on it.. would make the engine look even better.. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got my new Ford 9" Axle Housing from Quick Performance in last night . . . the axles themselves were delivered last week . . . just waiting on the Strange Engineering Pro-N Case with Daytona Pinion Support, WaveTrac differential and 3.50 gears to arrive . . .
Building Material property Wood Gas Barware

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Got a few more pictures and updates . . .

1.) There's a bunch of parts that the Chevrolet Performance Connect & Cruise LT1 engine doesn't come with, including the valve cover "insulators" and the side engine covers . . . I had the choice of either the Camaro or Corvette covers . . . I chose the Corvette covers . . .

2.) I have decided to place the battery in the Spare Tire well, under the floor; I bought an AFCO Stainless Steel battery tray, and determined where I'm going to place it in there . . . I'm using 2/0 Welding cables for my battery cables, one red, one black, and I cut a couple of holes to route them in yesterday, then crimped some ends on, used some heat shrink, and used some grommets in the holes to prevent chafing . . . I'll be attaching the cables along the frame rail, using wire clamps, about one every foot on each cable, alternating between them, so there will be one every 6 inches or so

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle
Hood Wood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Electrical wiring Floor Cable Flooring Electrical supply
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
ISn't it amazing what kind of 'neat stuff' begins to show up at your door when you begin spending LOTS of $$$$? :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
ISn't it amazing what kind of 'neat stuff' begins to show up at your door when you begin spending LOTS of $$$$? :)
Yeah, if only some of it wasn't so expensive, and some was included with the Connect & Cruise package . . . I have to tell you, the instructions included in the Connect & Cruse package are severely lacking, compared to what you get with the comparable Ford stuff . . . you'd think they would take a hint from their competition, and improve their instructions . . .

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
I found that to be the case also when I did my first LS swap for a friend a LSA Erod connect & cruise in a g body malibu. Getting the system to work with the set of auto meter gauges tach & speedometer was a absolute nightmare finally found what I needed online no thanks to Auto Meter to get the speedo functioning.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts