Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time for some overhaulin'....yeeehawww. Aaaa were did that come from.:D

Wife drives my truck, I've had it for 8 years or so. Always has been a good truck and it's paid for so I'm thinking of keeping it around until I can find me a quad cab. It has the 350 Vortec, 4L60E trans and the NP231 transfer case. The wife comes home and says the truck needs to go in the shop. First thought was...helllllloooo, guy who works on cars standing right here....but I got scared so didn't say anything ....yet:D. I asked what was up and she said it is running hot and we might as well put it in the shop and get the rear main seal replaced. I of course had to go check it out...hmmm no fluid in the reservour and none in the radiator. Found some of it on the ground and on the crossmember. Well that solved that, just need to find the leak.
Better check everything else. Oil - needs a little, cause the real main seal is leaking. Transmission fluid - aaaaaaaaa darn it, it's burnt black. Dang stupid clutches or band must be burnt.
So, now it truely has to go in the shop...the transmission shop. I can fix the rest but I don't want to tackle the trans. Called the shop....$1100 and they will even install the rear main seal....of course you will. Darn it, poor truck, 230k miles and runs like a swiss watch. Might as well suck it up and fix it. Going to change the ps pump and the ps box as well, it's all over the road sometimes. Already replaced all the bushings. Never ends but I like my truck.
Josh

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Josh i sold my 1989 4X4 Chevy in April after owning it for 15yrs. I still miss it but it was time to get a newer truck. It road walked a little also. Be sure to check the idler arms as i changed mine severeal times over those years. I had had a GM trans installed about 3yrs ago in it.
Saying that, my newer 2005 Chevy does better at pulling and on gas mileage too.
Terry

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think my problem is I've pulled alot of weight with the truck. My tractor was pulled with it and the first time I had the trans rebuilt was when it burnt up from pulling a cuddy cabin boat from NJ.....
Josh

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
I had the numbers ran on my new truck yesterday. It has the 3:73 rear gear and the HD trans cooler, plus the trailering package. Sure pulls the tralier with my 57 on it very good. Plus it averaged nearly 12mpg on that trip.
Terry

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Huh, my wife's 01 Tahoe made the trip from Tucson to Pomona a couple weeks ago with my car trailer and a friend's big block 71 Skylark on it. Tahoe has 142K on it. Got 14.5 MPG. towing. Not towing, it'll do 19.5 to 20. I had the tranny rebuilt at 57K and told them it will be towing, make it strong.......they did.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not pulling, I usually get 16.5mpg. The truck has felt like it doesn't like any load on it recently and now I see why. When i take it in from a transmission rebuild I'll have them build it to tow. One of these days I'm going to have to rebuild that 5.7 Vortec, 230K miles and still going.
Josh

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Josh one thing to consider on the engine, you can buy a new GM crate engine for about the same money as a rebuild these days. Gets you a 3yr, 36k warranty with it too.
Terry

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Terry, I probably should do a compression test and see how my motor is holding up but it runs near perfect and has for quite some time.
I did get my truck back. Went to pick it up, took off down the road and it was not shifting into overdrive, took it back and the shop owner took it out on the road and it was not shifting into overdrive. Torque convertor was locking in but it wasn't shifting. Got back to the shop and he hooked up his $2500 scanner and it kicked back a non reading pressure switch. So, he said he could check it really quick. Put it up on the rack, dropped the pan and sure enough the pressure valve electrical connector was not plugged in.
After he got it all back together we took it out and it shifts alot better than it ever has. I made him increase the line pressure which gives it alot better feel.
The only thing he said was wrong with it was the sun shell's teeth were about gone and a couple of shims had groves worn in it. he replaced it with a hardened sunshell. The clutches and band looked good but now it has all new parts so it should last me a while.
On a side note, I added on to my gravel parking area on the side of my garage to get my son's 57 out of the yard (yeah, I'm that guy...lol) and spread new gravel over the rest of my parking area. I parked the truck there but had to run to the hardware store. It's a little steep getting onto the main road and the truck started to spin, I locked it into 4wd but it would not lock in. I finally got the truck out and figured I would have to take it back. After I got to the hardware store, I climbed under the truck and found the electrical connection to the 4wd disconnected. Plugged it up and she locked right in.
Seems even the professional guys miss things sometimes. Easy fix so I'm not torn up about it. The shop usually does great work and probably did not double check the locking clips on the connectors. All is well now.
Truck feels like it has alot more get-up-and-go.
Josh

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Seems even the professional guys miss things sometimes. Easy fix so I'm not torn up about it. The shop usually does great work and probably did not double check the locking clips on the connectors. All is well now.
That is what happens when one of two things happens:
1-mechanic got interupted while reconnecting everything
2-shop/mechanic was running behind and got in a hurry and overlooked the connectors.

Glad you got your truck back and all is better now.
Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts