Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says...a barn find as close as you can get in this day and time. I have known about this car for nearly 5 years now...but the owner was not interested in selling but more about talking about that he had one that was in good shape. To make a long story shorter...one day about 5 months ago...I asked him if he had it still and was it a 55 chevy? He said yes. I left it at that. 2months later i brought it up again and he mentioned that a person had come to look at it. So I asked what he was going to do...he said I dont know. I have delt with guy ike this for years...so i knew to take it easy. A few months went by and I seen him again and he said he was looking at buying some land and was thinking of building a house. SO I said you are going to have to get rid of some things then..he said yeah...I think so. SO another 1 month goes by and I see him again...this time I just out right said to him...you wanna sell that 55 or what? He started to mumble and I looked him dead in the eye and said" I am serious....what is the number on it" He gave me a number and I said send me some pics of it...i need to see..and again I am serious about this or I would be asking. I never got any pics.Two weeks go by and I call him and say Hey you never sent me pics...he text me and says go look at it and gave me the address to where it was...at this point i knew he was finally ready...So i asked him in person what he would take for it...bottom dollar..he gave me a better price. I went and looked at it and thought about it for a week...and we latter made a deal and I bought the car.

Below
are pics of the condition it was in. A 1955 Bel Air post car..original V8, 3 speed. Unmolested.. besides the 4 speed hold cut in the floor at some point. The tag in the trunk was 1971 NC tag and the title is a NC title. I found a old inspection receipt dated 826-1969 in glove box...a few thousand miles less than the odometer now..which is 95K.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
took a low boy trailer and 8000lbs winch to get her to pull up out of that shed....could have done it without my buddy helping.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$12 and alot of soap and suds...high pressure washing...and it cleaned up like this..My buddy is a stout die hard FORD guy his whole life...but this ole 55 got his interest ...and he wanted a picture..LOL

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! And the dash pocket was not a victum of rats or a nest...I think the snake that lived in it took care of that.. I did set off 2 pest bombs inside the car so all spiders ect were takign car eof..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one thing i will like...it it is all still together like it was when built...it makes understanding the car better knowing no one has messed things up...and i know what the real colors of paint were on different ite
ms

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This car had heavy undercoating on it...and it is now falling off after the pressure wash... it helped preserve and protect..it came off in sheets..but look at that factory aint color on the wheel well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am dead in the middle of restoring my first car....a 1968 Camaro which is on my rotisserie.....but as usual...this is when I alwasy seem to run across cars like this 55...when I dont need it! BUT i knew I needed to get this deal done and purchased...so my thoughts are to store it in my shop until I can start on it and buy parts here and there for it. It will be in a climate controlled environment. But int he mean time. I did order a set of CPP side engine mounts and trans cross member. I also have a 327 with patina that I decided to drop in it and use the factory bell housing and rear mounts for now. I also had a s10 5 speed trans I put in the car also.These parts have been around inmy shop for the last decade...they needed a home...LOL. I need to have it where it can crank up and be moved aorund if need in the parking lot of my shop and out of the bay it will call home.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I read where people have had issues with the side mounts...I must say i didnt have any issues...they fit well..very good actually. I also ordered a lower drivers side front fender patch panel from Real Deal Steel so I remove the fender to repair it and this made installing the engine easy. My goal is to repiar the lower rear corniers of both front fenders and blast the front sheet metal and epoxy prime and refit them right now...after that I am back on the Camaro .

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
as it looks like it came with the car... I have had this engine in storage since the late 90's. It is freed u and was keep oil in the cylunders...it does run and has a very light comp cam in it. Going to be interesting to hear the 68 327 fire up again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
side shot... those manifolds are actually off a L98 1988 Vette. I kept them around for 15 year snow...hoping I could use them one day...I would have never ever thought it would be on a 55 Chevy I own...the tbes will be cut flush and welded shut...again this is JUST to get the car where it can move under its own power. But it looks cool...I will say they are a perfect kit and have plenty of clearance.

1 - 20 of 395 Posts