Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
341 - 360 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
OK...current update. Got the car on the ground and while the moog 638 springs looked ok i thought they sit a bit to high. Sounds familar with everyone else that has put the damn "stock replacements" in...right?

So I take it for a drive and think not bad the car is tight and feels good. BUT it rides like a wagon!!! WTH? SO i am pissed off I have put all the hard work and long hours in only to have rough riding front suspension. Driving it around DID NOT settle it down and yes the spring were installed correct. So i take it o the alignment shop and tell the guy so MAKE SURE you CENTER the STEERING WHEEL. 1.5 hours later and he is done and provides a print out showing all was in specs. I paid the $85.13 and said thank you and was dog tired and just wanted to go home to sleep. I get in the car and make it 3 blocks and the steering wheel is to the side and not centered...BUT the computer print out said it was. I am pissed! But to tired to turn around and go back as I had to got to work and pull three 12 hour days for my work week.

Well tonight my buddy and I pulled the springs back out after last night observing the upper A Arms resting ...just kissing the rubber bumper. I knew right then and there these springs were too stiff and not compressing. So we pulled them tonight and cut 1 coil off, sound familiar? WHAM the car is sitting perfect and riding smooth and I now have 1.75" of clearance between the rubber bumper and the bottom of the upper A Arm.
SO my question is what the hell is wrong with these shops selling 638 springs that they KNOW aint no damn way they are right for these cars? So my advice to anyone that wants to replace your front springs with stock replacements...just cut 1 coil off before your install them.....save your self the time from having to do it twice.

I will post pics tomorrow of the car form the side after I get back from the other alignment shop in the morning and no I am not taking it back the first shop.....I am not gonna fault the guy for the alignment that puled to the left a bit becasue the springs were not compressing is on me. BUT a experienced guy should have caught it when it was on the rack and said i cant do this correct. I consider that my mistake BUT...and I say BUT...I do fault the guy for not making sure the damn steering wheel was centered! When I aligned car sint he early 90's that was the one thing customers would complain about! These manual boxs on the tri fives have to be centered and on the high point of the gears or excessive play will occur.

So thats my rant...and why I am gonna pay another shop to do the car, besides the guy doing it does actually own a 57 Chevy and drives it to work...he should know what to do on the car.

·
Registered
68,238 Posts
end result sounds great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 · (Edited)
some more pics if last weeks work.

The shocks had to be slotted on the bottom. Simple thing to do since they werent from the manufactuer. I order them for. 55 Chevy and they should have been open on the ends since the tri five has a wider bolt spacing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
That evapo rust thermocure stuff is the cats meow! It honestly works! The inside of the block is now clean and it did take flushing the block out with the upper and lower radiator hoses off for about 30 min with water hose. The radiator was pure rust color like the water jackets and this was the results after 2 bottles and 6 days of use. Damn good stuff and worth the money! The car does run cooler and a ton of stuff cam out during flushing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Final assembly of brakes on the front. Tje speedway motors kit is pretty good. Everything bolted up nice. Just wish they would include grease for the caliper bolts to o rings....those have to be lubricated for the caliper to slide and work correctly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
alignment done and the guy took time to get it right, he was not in a hurry and car drives nice down the road and doesn't pull Steering wheel is almost dead-on straight...i can fine tune it to perfect with little effort on the tie rod ends. I am pleased.

Print out he gave me of before and after

·
Premium Member
13,874 Posts
In the few times that I’ve wanted to lower the front, then cut them, the cars rode even harsher. Did you find the same?

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,483 Posts
That evapo rust thermocure stuff is the cats meow! It honestly works! The inside of the block is now clean and it did take flushing the block out with the upper and lower radiator hoses off for about 30 min with water hose. The radiator was pure rust color like the water jackets and this was the results after 2 bottles and 6 days of use. Damn good stuff and worth the money! The car does run cooler and a ton of stuff cam out during flushing.
I will get some of that stuff and run it through my 60 Pontiac, it’s pretty gnarly in there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 · (Edited)
Aluminum radiator installed along with Danchuk shroud. I can feel it now pulling air from all corners of the radiator where as before it did not...just the middle basically.
Still undecided if I want to use the radiator cap that cap with the radiator. I do not run the heater core hook up in the summer so extra pressure is not a thing there.

The cap is a 18.85 psi cap....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 · (Edited)
Me and my buddy made our first trip to the Tri Five Nats this year. First off, it was too damn hot! LOL. We drove my car 500 miles through the Cumberland Gap and over and around mountains taking all the back roads we could to stay off the interstates. We had a blast seeing Small town America and it should be seen and meeting and talking to people about the car.
We hit rain some of the way and at times was the only car on the road for 30-40 miles stretches. Car ran great and the Holley EFI system ran great even at high altitude and got 16 mph. I am very please. Below pics of our trip that was fun and a true roadkill type experience.

We hit 3000 feet altitude and the Holley EFI system did not skip a beat...it was awesome during the trip!

We found this drive in in the middle of the mountains. We wanted to stay and catch the movie but it was early afternoon.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 · (Edited)
So we got hungry and stoped at a Sonic drive in and got a bite to eat.

Became a member this year...great magazine they send out every month.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 · (Edited)
So drove to within 1.5 hours of Bowlin Green and got a room for the night. Next morning the old man at the desk told us about a small town with a great diner to eat at...so we took his directions and drove about 5 miles off the Cumberland Hwy and found this.

A small town that you could really look both ways and see the end and a small diner where everyone inside was called by their names and the food was awesome...home cooked!

Below is the picture of the towns "picture house" from the 30's that is still in operation.

what a great breakfast this was!

Our goal was to keep off the main roads as much and see small town America. This is truly what i want to do in the future...it was such a better trip with the scenery and people that you meet.

The president of the Bank in the picture and its other employee came out on the sidewalk to look at the car and talk to us....

We stopped the National Corvette Museum the first day and decided not to go to the show because it was freaking too damn hot! 105-115 heat index and 97 degrees! Humidity was off the charts....it was freaking nuts! BUT before we hit the museum...we rolled into town and took a left into Corvette Drive and into the gas station. I heard a ticking and it god louder and then really loud! I turned car off quick.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts