Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
361 - 380 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That is cool that you were able to make the trip in your 55. I wish we could have met up but maybe next time. I have to agree about the heat. I did not stay as long each day as I wanted to because the heat just sapped the wife and I. It was a very good show and I will definatly go back again. Also I have to agree with you anout staying off of the interstates. When I drive my 57 down I will do the same as you and see small town America.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,880 Posts
Nice photos BigChips! Thanks for posting your trip.. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 · (Edited)
So we pulled the valve covers off as I thought a roller rocker lock nut had come loose. They were all tight! So my buddy spun the engine over and we located #3 cylinder exhaust valve rocker was the location of noise. Pulled rocker and the tip of the push rod was worn off. So he called the local Advance Auto parts store and they had a push rod and delivered it to us. We installed it adjusted the valve and went to the museum. We spent 5 hours in there it is huge and has a lot of stuff to see and the cave in area and cars are still there, man did they get torn up falling 30 ft!

We then went to the motel and checked in. and rested and later that afternoon we decided to pull the valve covers and check the rest of the valve train good. What we found was more push rods with the tip worn off but the rockers were fine. Digging further we found this! a collapsed lifter! WT F! We are 500 miles from home and who the heck is gonna have parts like this, in stock?

That cup should be near the spring clip .... i have never had this happen just out of the blue...but it did. What I would find out is we think the lifters were all failing to pump up properly and this was causing oiling issues with some of the push rods which is why the tips were getting eat up. I later found out a friend of mine had the same issue with these lifters a long time ago....dont rember the brand name they were just regular rebuild kit lifter he and I had.

We didnt waste time tearing it down.... it was hot hot hot and damn hot!

my child hood friend and buddy Keith. He handled getting the parts from the parts houses. They had 16 sealed power lifters and 15 push rods and was nice enough to deliver them to the parking lot and other items we needed. My legs got burned up! We had people coming by and were amazed that we were fixing this car in the parking lot and that we had the top end off...but we are both old school mechanics and this was not a big deal as long as we could get the parts. At this point focus shifted to being able getting our butts back home! Then we would think about the car show.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 · (Edited)

It was so hot out there that we both decided to get the car wraped up and once it started and was alright we went to the indoor pool and just plain jumped in with our street clothes on!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 · (Edited)
We made it to the show on Friday and it was a good show, but did i say it was too hot and stifling humidity.

Storms were brewing up all around us and they did come!

We waited for the stands to clear a bit as they were packed and we didn't want to be around that many people from all over the country in close confines since My buddy just a year and half ago had a kidney transplant that saved his life. But I did snap a picture of the historic seating at the drag strip.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 · (Edited)
Like i said it was so dang hot we decided to just leave early Saturday since check out was at 11am and just take the back roads home. So we did and it was a blast. We hit rain and we hit hard rain and we also got stuck on I-40 where both lanes were shut down for 45 mins due to a bad wreck. We just pulled off to the side and opened the hood a bit (like they did back in the days in the summer) and sat in the shade. Of course people and a state trooper came by asking questions about the car.

Traffic cleared a bit and we hit the road and hammered down! Sometimes running 86 mph and rolling. The car got 16mpg with the efi and that is with its self learning. I plan to get it professionally tuned and the guy says he routinely gets 3-4 mpg more than the system self learns plus more power.

I always wanted to drive around on trips like a a hot rodder would have int he late 60's-mid 70's with built engine. This 327 is a very good representation of what would have been trolling the streets back then. It has 2.02/1.60 valves in Double hump heads, ported and polished with dual valve springs and a 500 lift cam with 292 degrees of duration and roller rockers. Not a small street cam for trips. aluminum intake,headers and big cfm carb. (efi flows 950 cfm) and a straight drive with a decent rear gear in it...in my case 3.36 ratio.

As for the nationals It was a good show and the used parts were very nice to choose from. The vendors were awesome and came in force. The crowds did also as they reported 2813 cars registered. The area is beautiful and the drive was fun and site seeing was awesome. BUT...BUT that damn heat and humidity! That will play into my decision to go again....I think this was a fluke week with the weather system. But that humidity made it very uncomfortable and we actually took 4 dang showers in a day.

It sucked that the lifter failed but that is something that was out of anyone's control. It was just a bad lifter but these Gen 1 small block can be worked on easy. We had a great trip and will go again.

We met alot of people and got a lot of thumbs up from the side of the roads and the other lanes. People are just drawn to the car's look for some reason and are just blown away when shown and told it is fuel injection and it all new underneath. Again if you go a trip like this...take the roads less traveled you will really like it. At times on the roads we would travel 30-35 miles stretches and never seen more than 3-4 cars. This is where the fun was for us not the show but the trip and the back roads and the small town America.

The radiator did very well. 177 in the heat and once moving down the road 165 and through the mountains and at night it would sometimes cool the engine down to 158 which took it out of closed loop operation and back into open loop with the efi. The four blade factory fan struggled to keep up in traffic during the mid day and once got to 211 degrees, but the radiator cooled it down once moving to 177. So a 6 blade fan will be going on next.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
looking back, last June 20th 2020 this car was winched out of a shed where it had sat for years. A car that had not been on the road since 1971 and 131/2 months later it made it to the Nationals. No one around me thought it was possible not the guy i bought it from or some of my friends. But I had a vision....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Old time hot rodding at it's best. Years ago I used to carry spare valve springs and rocker arms along with tools to keep a junkyard 350 running in my street rod. I finally broke down and replaced all with new parts. I am glad for you that you were able to get it going and safely make the trip home. Quite an adventure. (y)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Well jumped in and drove my 55 today, first time since getting back from the nationals. Really love driving the car and hearing the cam. Also transfered the learn table from the ecu to the main map from the 1100 mile round trip so it knows for sure how to run now.

I have saved enough money up to buy a floor pan. Danchuk went up on their prices by a little over $200 as did everyone else. Double Nickel was really priced well but out of the sedan pans and only have convertible pans. They are coming the the Charlotte Auto Fair so that would be a easy pick up and save shipping since that show is 25 miles from me.

Speedway has the best prices period at $890 but their shipping is a little over $300. SO I called them and spoke to them and they calculated the shipping to my business to be $112. So i pulled the trigger and will have the sedan pan they have in a little over a week from now for a grand total including shipping and tax...$1071.77.

These things got scarce real quick...and I was told they are on back order till at least October...ish...so prolly dang end of November. Glad Speedway helped out on the shipping....

Golden Star FP13-552 Complete Floor Pan w/ Braces, 1955-57 Chevy

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Glad to see that you were able to score a floor pan. Looks like it also has the inner rockers attached so that will make the install go easier. You may want to install the rockers before doing the floor pans to help keep things in better alignment. Please keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Got the derale 17” fan in finally. Man did this thing take 4 weeks to get after the first order was cancelled bu vendor due to not having it. Gonna put it on soon ...it will move some air but will take some horsepower in doing so.

So when i was at the Nats i purchased a ignition switch from Woodies because my orginal swich key was not with the car when i got it but i was able to use it be cause the last person didn't pull the key out in the lock position. I couldn't replace the cylinder because you cant get it out without the original key to compress the tumblers down.

So just for chance i tried the keys that came with the new switch and BAM! I was able to pop the cylinder out! Damn finally some good luck! Well i put the new one in and it is an nice having a key now and also the positive engagement of the switch feeling.

I will say the replacement lock ring/bezel was crap and didn't fit well at all! Waste of money and time, ended up just reusing original one and then the key switch operated smoothly and no bidding.

I used mothers mag polish on the plastic lens. That stuff works well with plastic parts. I spray painted the black paint on the back after taping up the words.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 · (Edited)
Awe snap! Got the phone call from driver that he was 2 miles away. Floor pan is now delivered! I was not expecting this to come in today! So we just slid it off the trailer to my truck bed, did not have to fire up the forklift. Speedway Motors did not waste time shipping this for it 7 days after ordering and that included a holiday.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 · (Edited)
Well...I blew the rear end out tonight on the way home. Nailed it in 1st gear hit 2nd about 6000 rpm and it sounded like a FUGGING HOWITZER went tha FUG off inside the car!!!!!!

Gonna pull it down early next week and see if it was spider gears or ring or pinion gear.

I was lucky that i was only a mile from the house and a few buddies pulled me home.

Cant believe the T5 trans didnt let loose before the rear......

·
Registered
146 Posts
So drove to within 1.5 hours of Bowlin Green and got a room for the night. Next morning the old man at the desk told us about a small town with a great diner to eat at...so we took his directions and drove about 5 miles off the Cumberland Hwy and found this.

A small town that you could really look both ways and see the end and a small diner where everyone inside was called by their names and the food was awesome...home cooked!

Below is the picture of the towns "picture house" from the 30's that is still in operation.

View attachment 345341

what a great breakfast this was!

View attachment 345342

Our goal was to keep off the main roads as much and see small town America. This is truly what i want to do in the future...it was such a better trip with the scenery and people that you meet.

View attachment 345343

The president of the Bank in the picture and its other employee came out on the sidewalk to look at the car and talk to us....

View attachment 345344

We stopped the National Corvette Museum the first day and decided not to go to the show because it was freaking too damn hot! 105-115 heat index and 97 degrees! Humidity was off the charts....it was freaking nuts! BUT before we hit the museum...we rolled into town and took a left into Corvette Drive and into the gas station. I heard a ticking and it god louder and then really loud! I turned car off quick.

View attachment 345346

I am soo jealous. Your living the dream

361 - 380 of 395 Posts