Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
You gave me insperation. I am madly working on my 55 todrive it to bakersfield western invasion 1600 mi.--Baylor View attachment 346895 View attachment 346896

Well it sure looks like you have a great car to do it in! Get out there ad enjoy yourself on the road, our lives in todays time is way to face paced. You will be so damn suprised at how many people you will meet after staying off the major highways!

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Well...I blew the rear end out tonight on the way home. Nailed it in 1st gear hit 2nd about 6000 rpm and it sounded like a FUGGING HOWITZER went tha FUG off inside the car!!!!!!

Gonna pull it down early next week and see if it was spider gears or ring or pinion gear.

I was lucky that i was only a mile from the house and a few buddies pulled me home.

Cant believe the T5 trans didnt let loose before the rear......
I’ve busted a lot of them stock trifive rears in the past. Really not surprised that you did. Look into something better. An 8.8 (12 bolt equivalent) is a good place to start.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You gave me insperation. I am madly working on my 55 todrive it to bakersfield western invasion 1600 mi.--Baylor View attachment 346895 View attachment 346896
Thats the best complement I have ever received.
That sure looks like a nice 55 to start with. Is this an original paint car ? I know this takes more time but document your cars rehab and post a thread to inspire more people. I plan to with mine as soon as I get the title - lost and out of the system for almost half a century, and now our state has taken an easy process and lets say governmentised it.

And get out there and get working!!!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
That rear ended needed upgrading anyway lol. I have found T5s will take more thaan you think as long as you don’t keep slamming 3rd gear.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
That rear ended needed upgrading anyway lol. I have found T5s will take more thaan you think as long as you don’t keep slamming 3rd gear.

Aint that the truth! I broke it all down tonight and the cnc retainer plates are looking good. The axle bearings are still good and no leaks. Axles splines are not twisted.

But those spiders and side gears are gone! Not a tooth on the top spider and bout 2/3 gone on the bottom. Pic below and it is worse looking in person.

Automotive tire Tread Wheel Automotive design Alloy wheel

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,887 Posts
I shredded the spider gears in a '60 Impala in 1968, attempting to do a 'burnout' going around a corner... Not a good idea but the dumbass 19 yr old airman didn't know any better! :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Been there done that. I would hate to think how many 8.2 open diff center sections I ruined back in the day with my 348 powered 58 Belair. I decided that I wanted to keep the stock rear in my 57 build so I picked up a later Posi center section from a 64 chevy and beefed it up with the 8-3/4 Mopar side gears and clutches so I could run the larger 30 spline axles. I installed cap girdles and had a set of dutchman axles built for it. It should hold up well behind my 283-270 build. If you can find the parts that is the way I would go. Best to start with a 57 axle housing as it has larger bearings.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Been there done that. I would hate to think how many 8.2 open diff center sections I ruined back in the day with my 348 powered 58 Belair. I decided that I wanted to keep the stock rear in my 57 build so I picked up a later Posi center section from a 64 chevy and beefed it up with the 8-3/4 Mopar side gears and clutches so I could run the larger 30 spline axles. I installed cap girdles and had a set of dutchman axles built for it. It should hold up well behind my 283-270 build. If you can find the parts that is the way I would go. Best to start with a 57 axle housing as it has larger bearings.
This showed up today! This should help out a lot. Gonna start putting it all together tomorrow

Audio equipment Auto part Tableware Fashion accessory Table

Purple Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Violet

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·

That rear should be fine for your power output. I have old 60's car magazines that list that same mod you did. Main ting is a osi unit transfers the power better more evenly and not solely on or through the spider gears....

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Those stock type rears behind some real power are next to death no matter what is done, especially behind a clutch. It took me a lot of money and work to realize that. Forget it and step up is my advice.

I know I’ll take a lot of flak for that, but I wasted a ton to come to that realization. This newer thing with the 8.8’s is really interesting.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 · (Edited)
Decided to clearance the pumpkin so that the posi unit clears and fits nice. My mill made short work of it so now all that is left is to just round a few edges. I used a end mill that already had a corner radius so i didnt have any right angles that could possibly develop cracks.

I also got the ring gear put on the posi unit. I had to stick it in the small powder coat oven to heat it up and then it fell right on ad then the bolts were torqued to 55 ft lbs.

Gas Machine tool Auto part Machine Engineering

Automotive tire Grey Silver Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Those stock type rears behind some real power are next to death no matter what is done, especially behind a clutch. It took me a lot of money and work to realize that. Forget it and step up is my advice.

I know I’ll take a lot of flak for that, but I wasted a ton to come to that realization. This newer thing with the 8.8’s is really interesting.
how much power do youthink a rear like this can hold?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I bought my cap girdles from A Bruneau Performance. He uses an upgraded version of this rear-end in a 62 409/409 hp stock eliminator drag car and it seems to hold well for him. I think that good traction control, traction bars etc to prevent wheel hop and a good set of axles go a long way in making it live. I did buy a set of Strange gears that were made in the USA .

381 - 395 of 395 Posts