Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was doing a little work the Bel Air I got last weekend, and I was putting on a rim and tire that actually held air when I noticed that my car came with something extra.

A huge spider with an egg sac under it! There are not words in the English language powerful enough to describe how much I hate spiders.

It was fast. Very fast. It managed to stay hidden for a few hours while I went to the store to get bug spray (I just moved here, soI didn't have any handy, and my brake cleaner can ran out before I could hit the little &*(%$)

Fortunately, when we crossed paths later today, the egg sac was still with it, and I drowned the thing in posion, scooped up the carcass and then set it on fire in the fire pit.

I'm gonna set off bug bombs in the house now too.

Haha, that was my introduction to Tri Fives!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I don't think Florida has a corner on the spider market, but sometimes I think we do have a corner on the 'roach market! The first time my wife saw a 'roach in the bathroom she ran screaming from the apartment all the way over to the office where they said "Welcom to Florida!" We had just moved here from Wisconsin -- not a lot of 'roaches, but quite a few spiders! Now, almost 20 years later we've lost our "run like hell" reaction to 'roaches, but I still hate 'em with a passion!

Snakes, spiders, armadillos, possums, etc -- it's just a way of life, I guess, but there's still nothing more disconcerting that getting a spider, for example, in your face when you're on your back under the car with no easy way to get out in a hurry! I had this happen when I was a kid hiding under the cabin up north in Minnesota -- spiders in the face still scare the hell out of me!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Don't park under a pecan tree or you'll end up with a car full of roaches. I remember that from my 2 1/2 years in Jacksonville at Cecil Field. Some of them were big enough to throw you shoe back to you.
Dave

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I never heard that one about the pecan trees, but I don't have to worry -- I don't have a pecan tree! (I wouldn't know a pecan tree if I saw one, though!)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oddly enough, I was thinking of moving to Houston after I graduated, and yes part of the reason is a woman.......

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just killed several Black Widows and a couple of Brown Recluses when we moved a utility building this weekend. Greetings from spidery Alabama.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,867 Posts
V8PunkRocket said:
Hello everyone,

A huge spider with an egg sac under it! There are not words in the English language powerful enough to describe how much I hate spiders.
Ahhh.. A person that understands the rage when they gaze upon a ghastly little spawn of Satan, known as a spider. All I know is that when I see one, I get Arachno-I'mgonnasmashyou-phobia! :mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feel for you

However, when I picked up a 57 Cameo truck that had been sitting in the desert for almost 20 years, we got the surprise of our lives. 2 days after the original owner pressure washed the cab and engine comparment and after we hauled it home, we were cleaning it out the debris. After taking out the seat and gas tank my girlfriend was scooping out whatever was in the bottom of the cab at the ends of where the gas tank was. She was using a vacuum and wasn't paying much attention to what was going on around her. When she looked up near the gas filler pipe, there was an 8 inch pack rat staring directly into her eyes, just inches away. Needles to say, they both scared each other so much that they were both just blurs to me. Fortunately my girlfriend came back and the rat didn't. She's still a little hesitant to stick her head into the cab, but I'm sure it will get better after all is done.

Clasz57

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah she's an awesome girl. Even though she was born and raised in another country (Philippines) she went crazy when I showed her pics of my Bel Air, saying that she has always loved the way those cars look. She actually wants to help me work on it. I wish we werent 998.97 miles apart. :mad:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
What the heck is a pack rat? I've been called one, so I want to know what one is! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pack Rat

A pack Rat is a larger than usual rat and takes things from one place to another to make things comfortable for themselves. I guess we are all pack rats in a sence. Maybe they don't have them in all parts of the country, but in the California desert they sure do.

Clasz57

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Clasz57 said:
A pack Rat is a larger than usual rat and takes things from one place to another to make things comfortable for themselves.....
Okay, that fits me to a "T" :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
What part fits best, the pack part or the rat part? HA HA

I'm leaving for Henderson NV in about half an hour to a car show. Should be a cool ride this morning in a convertible, or should I say COLD!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Actually it's the "takes things from one place to another to make things comfortable" part! :)

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I save it in case I may need it for some unknown reason. I'm called a packrat by my wife. After a while I acumulate too much junk and then through it out. Of coarse 2 weeks later I find that I need that piece I threw out.
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clasz57 said:
...needles to say, they both scared each other so much that they were both just blurs to me.Clasz57
And how much trouble did you get in for laughing about it?!?! :D

Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that we're not usually scared of furry creatures but terrified of anything with too many legs? I don't mind spiders too much but then the ones we get in the UK, even the big ones, are not that big, certainly not as big as rats, but they still wierd me out more than any rat, mouse, vowle, fox or whatever would/does!

I've sat on a friends boat on the river Seine in France as the sun went down, supping beer and watching the rats scamper about on the bank, can't imagine ever doing that with spiders instead! :D

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
How about those cute little squirrels that chew and scratch thier way into your house to raise thier families, or the racoons. Last year while I was on vacation my tenant was hearing noises in the attic. Then he saw the mama racoon going in through the board in the eaves she had pulled down. $500 later they were gone. Mama and 4 kids. That $500 didn't cover the cost of repairs to the house either.
Dave

1 - 20 of 73 Posts