Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's shop was caught in the flood and was under 6' of water for almost a week and a half and the authorities have since condemned both their house and the shop as uninhabitable. He's not sure when he'll be allowed to salvage anything. They were allowed to go in last weekend for a little while with the Sheriffs to look around...according to Marty there is about a foot of mud in the first floor of the house, nothing worth salvaging, and the shop has about a foot of mud on the floor. Both rebuilt engines he had on stands, a blown Hemi and a hot rodded 327 with Man-a-Fre induction, plus his tool boxes are coated in mud and have mud/water in the crankcases and drawers. His near completion '40 Ford pickup project was up on the lift and got some water/mud on the undercarriage yet other than he said it looked ok. His two vintage restored gas pumps and other vintage memorabilia and pictures hanging low on the shop walls are toast as is most everything in the storage cabinets. He said most everything below a 6 foot level is coated in mud now. They have flood insurance but it is taking forever to go through that hoop, plus not being able to get into the place.
The only saving grace for him and his wife was when they got the order to evacuate he got ahold of his two sons and daughter-in-laws and they all manged to save some important things from the house and they did get Carol's '57 BelAir and his '32 5 window out of the shop...both very, very nice cars. I stored the '57 for him and one of his sons had the '32 in his garage until yesterday. Marty found a place to store them together.
Marty and Carol are in their early '70's and both were joking with the wife and I yesterday about being homeless at their age:)...they are both fun to be around always upbeat...

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Man, I hate to hear that much damage was created. My heart goes out to your friends and may their positive attitude help them get back on track with "life".

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Thanks for posting Gary. These are the dramas that play out after a disaster like this that people never hear about. I hope the insurance company takes care of your friend and his wife.The problem as i see it is you never remember everything you had.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
we went through 2 floods when living on the lake. the first thing is to rinse everything well and drown it with wd40. it's already wet but getting the mud out is important . we rinsed the house and my shop both times. worked out well .

·
Premium Member
13,558 Posts
I was going to ask you if you had any damage to your place. I remember you had posted that the S Platte was on the other side of a rise. I gather from your story that your own house sits a little higher than that? I feel bad for your friends. Wonder why they would have condemned the shop? Surely it could be cleaned out.

·
Registered
67,687 Posts
hope everything works out for them and all that were effected. :p3:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to ask you if you had any damage to your place. I remember you had posted that the S Platte was on the other side of a rise. I gather from your story that your own house sits a little higher than that? I feel bad for your friends. Wonder why they would have condemned the shop? Surely it could be cleaned out.
We had no flood damage at our home as we are on high ground and basically on a bluff above the natural flood plain. Marty and Carol live about 2mi south of us and their home is right on the flood plain and sits about an 1/8 mi from the river on 5 acres and is about a 1/4 mi off the county road. The county road was washed out in several places and is now closed. It is one of the routes in and out of Johnstown to the west. The National Guard and Sheriffs Posse is patrolling the area to curtail looting. There are quite a few high end homes, etc. in this once scenic area.
The South Platte is the major river on the front range, it flows through Denver then north to the plains. The St. Vrain, Big and Little Thompson rivers, West Creek river and all the tributaries flow into it just to the west of here and they were all at or above flood stage during the storm and the Cache La Poudre river flows into the Platte about 10mi northeast of here between Greeley and the town of Kersey.

All along the river bank on both sides of the river for about 15 mi. the Corps of Engineers built earthen berms(levees) about 10-12 ft high during the 70's in the hopes of keeping the river in between them during major flooding. The area to the east along the river is farm/ranch land and as it gets toward the towns of the Evans/LaSalle area there are a lot homes and businesses. It used to be that that area would or could flood during normal years of river flooding before the berms were built. The berms did work well until this flood happened, the flood is now 'officially' rated at over 24ft above flood stage(10ft is flood stage)that is almost 40 ft of water above the riverbed. The berms began failing just east of the city of Johnstown about 6 mi upstream from Marty and Carols place. The berm on their property is breached in several places and the river spread out on both sides of the banks almost 3/4mi wide and 6-10ft deep for miles downstream.

Marty's shop was condemned(my theory) because it lifted off the foundation, according to Marty, he said he and his son had to force the man-door open when they were allowed in as it was not square in the frame.

The whole area along the river is devastated in this area and the flooding along the Platte went all the way to the CO/NEB state line...I thank the Good Lord my wife and I were spared any major damage as so many others lost everything, homes, businesses, possessions, pets and vehicles and occupations and had only the clothes on their backs when they evacuated.:p3:

There are over 400 miles of roads, some of them major highways and over 120 bridge damaged or destroyed in our county(WELD) alone. I now have some real insight to the flooding that happens along the Missouri and Mississippi at times...never really realized what the people caught when those rivers flood go through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts