Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EASTWOOD WELDERS SUCK.

I purchased a MIG 175 and apparently it was generation one. It quit, no sound of bacon and I called Eastwood. I was told that a new circuit board is available for around $50.00. In 8 years, this welder did not see a full pound of wire run through it. My garage has no moisture problems and some equipment has been in there a lot longer with no issues. Now that I am starting to rebuild my 56, this stumbling block gets in my way. I purchased the board and was told that I must have some knowledge of electronics to install it. Hell, I rebuild alternators, have constructed glow plug drivers for RC airplanes from plans, fix my CEL problems for emissions so installing a circuit board should be a piece of cake. WRONG. I removed the old board, unwrapped the new one and stated comparing. The new board has a different number of connectors, most in different places some with different quantity of pins and the one connector from my welder with multiple wires has no place to plug into and it looks as if a half dozen wires from my old welder have no where to go. I guess the Eastwood Tech meant I should be an electronic engineer. So, I called them again and was told the new board is not interchangeable and they will give me a full refund for the board. I sent it back and was reimbursed and now I am without a working MIG welder. It looks brand new and for all intent and purpose, it is!

I was not offered any kind of trade in, just the full refund for the new circuit board. Zounds! no better than Harbor Freight, maybe even a shade worse.
I should have known better since a lot of the items they sell look similar to Harbor Freight items or clones of HF items with only minor tweaks such as color.

If you think you have to have a piece of equipment from Eastwood, get it in writing that back up repair parts are available. If they say NO, check out Harbor Freight or Banggood.com. I hope to purchase a Miller and that is a tough nut for a guy on fixed income. It's what I should have done in the first place. I never stop learning.

Anyone else have similar problems?

I am done with Eastwood FOREVER!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You are making me feel real good now. I have an Eastwood 275 Mig welder and a 40 amp plazma cutter from Eastwood. I bought them both last year. I am still learning to weld and so far they have been okay. I bought then to restore my 57 which will start later this year.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
You're rolling the dice with any Chinese welder.

If you had bought a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln you would probably be welding this weekend. Some other brands are repairable too, but it might take a little longer.

Just food for thought. Is the discount worth the inconvenience or future loss?

·
Registered
1 Posts
EASTWOOD WELDERS SUCK.

I purchased a MIG 175 and apparently it was generation one. It quit, no sound of bacon and I called Eastwood. I was told that a new circuit board is available for around $50.00. In 8 years, this welder did not see a full pound of wire run through it. My garage has no moisture problems and some equipment has been in there a lot longer with no issues. Now that I am starting to rebuild my 56, this stumbling block gets in my way. I purchased the board and was told that I must have some knowledge of electronics to install it. Hell, I rebuild alternators, have constructed glow plug drivers for RC airplanes from plans, fix my CEL problems for emissions so installing a circuit board should be a piece of cake. WRONG. I removed the old board, unwrapped the new one and stated comparing. The new board has a different number of connectors, most in different places some with different quantity of pins and the one connector from my welder with multiple wires has no place to plug into and it looks as if a half dozen wires from my old welder have no where to go. I guess the Eastwood Tech meant I should be an electronic engineer. So, I called them again and was told the new board is not interchangeable and they will give me a full refund for the board. I sent it back and was reimbursed and now I am without a working MIG welder. It looks brand new and for all intent and purpose, it is!

I was not offered any kind of trade in, just the full refund for the new circuit board. Zounds! no better than Harbor Freight, maybe even a shade worse.
I should have known better since a lot of the items they sell look similar to Harbor Freight items or clones of HF items with only minor tweaks such as color.

If you think you have to have a piece of equipment from Eastwood, get it in writing that back up repair parts are available. If they say NO, check out Harbor Freight or Banggood.com. I hope to purchase a Miller and that is a tough nut for a guy on fixed income. It's what I should have done in the first place. I never stop learning.

Anyone else have similar problems?

I am done with Eastwood FOREVER!
Have had the same issues. While practically new the part that holds the wire feed and the positive electrode broke apart. It is cheap plastic. It cost $15 to replace but it is junk. The man the feed motor quit working. Edited by admin for insinuated language,by chevman57

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
My experience was similar with eastwood the 175 I had worked well till it didn't only a on off switch but took 2 months in the meantime found a switch that I made work.Then the wire speed control broke same no parts found a control & made it work. Next was the torch liner they actually had one but it was too short called they sent another.Same thing too short so I cut the outer liner down & got it working again.Then in the middle of welding in side mounts in my friends 55 the gas valve quit working called Eastwood they thougt it needed a circuit board that was no longer available that was the end of it went out & bought a Holbart 195.

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop, Colonial Cream & Onyx Black, Super Turbo-Fire 283 Power Pack
14 Posts
I was thinking of getting a cheaper welder earlier this year but my brother was insistent I get a Miller instead. He's not a professional but he's done a lot of welding in his 60 years. I bit the bullet and got a 211 and it's been great. It is a lot of money though. I ran 220 to the garage for it but it can run on 110 also. I learned how to weld in my teens using a Lincoln 'Tombstone'. It's amazing how far welders have come since then.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
If you are asking me about the circuit board no I was not sure the board was bad that was what Eastwood thought not sure that was correct probably just wanted to sell another welder but after buying the Hobart 195 I wasn't really interested in trying to have it repaired & sold it to a guy that buys broken welders & repairs or parts them out.This was a couple years too.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,251 Posts
I have a Lincoln 125 (110v) MIG and a PrimeWeld 225 TIG, both are better machines than I am a welder. I’ve had the Lincoln for about 15 years now. It had wire roller issues about 10 years ago, but fixed that and it troops on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got a yeswelder mig 250 pro in this week. It was DOA. Turns on, wire feeds but no spark. I contacted yesweleder and the guy didn't seem surprised it was dead.

I bought it from amazon and they are sending me another one. Hopefully this one works.

I have a everlast 250dx tig and it's a rock. It's a hell of a lot better than I am. Works perfectly every time.

I think it's hit and miss whether you get a good import welder or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts