Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 14 when I bought my 55 2dr post . It was just a body no doors hood trunk or right fender' I sent Hours in the back yard working on it with the neighbors watching everything that happened. First I put togather a 12 bolt rear end with a couple books, 4.88 gears ,limited slip and jack stands that fell over setting on dirt it took about a month. Dad started teaching me to weld at 5 yrs old so by then I new how to put 5 passes on the perches for a 5/8" fillet weld. I front a red front fender and turquois hood in the free ads . Then I bought a yellow drivers side door and Forrest green trunk lid. By the time I got them on and a 327 combine engine with a saginaw 4spd a year had gone by and I was just about old enough for a drivers Permit. When I bought the passenger blue pass door my black and white car was just about complete only interior and tires was left to do. At a junk yard I found a 7' slick on an Ansen Sprint and a 8" slick on a Cragar Rocket. With dreams of making it into a fast car I also pickup 780 holley and Offy manifold . Tapped out for money I had my Learners Permit and still no car. The neighbor Looked over the fence with serious doubts hard to hide from thier facial expressions but words of support boosted my confidence. It was about 2 months till I could take my drivers test in "MY CAR". I found an apolstrery shop that was taking out custom red interior from a white 55 chevy door panels and al for $250. The biggest cash transation in my Great. The neighbor gave me 2 spare tires from old chevies for front tires. Wow light at the end of the tunnel just a distributer to go. 2 weeks before test day parents went to arizona and I got an Accel dual point distributer and set of headers from a blown up engine in the Mics ads in the paper. With the distributer in it was time to start it . By 3:00 am I found out where 1 cylinder was and what 180 degrees out meant. The next day 9:00 am and 3 hr sleep nothing could stop me now. With battery from dads corvair finally recharged it fired by noon and would idle at about 2000 rpm. The neighbors were all looking out the windows so I had to take her on the maiden voyage . With blue smoke rolling out from under the car and only cast iron exhaust manifolds for an exhaust system (no time for the headers) it sounded and looked like a real race car irregardless of the only functioning brake was the right front. My cars home in the back yard was over so around the house I went to do my first burnout. The little combine Engine wound as high as it would rev I droped the clutch and ran over my first mail box. It didn't burnout or make it to my drivers test but it got use dads garage and set in the driveway till I got her done 2 yrs later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
great story

lVery good story. I think that all tri five owners can relate to the obsession of getting that first tri five. Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts