Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if anyone has seen my other posts, you will know that I am currently in the process or re-painting the car. The metal was not prepped correctly or the paint was not mixed properly and it had began to spiderweb and chip off. My dad stopped by the house today and dropped off a photo album of its original restoration that spanned from 1987-1999.

Car was built in Janesville on November 8, 1955. Pretty sure it spent most of its life in the north due to the extreme amount of rust on the floors and rockers. Was brought to Rapid City, SD and full frame off restoration started. I was 4 at the time.
Most of the big restoration stuff was done while we lived in Omaha, which was great because I remember there was an amazing car club there and my dad had tons of help getting the parts, and ensuring things were done correct.

The car was originally a 6-cyl car but we installed a 265 2bbl and powerglide. Was restored to original cowl tag paint and trim codes.
C56J0217XX
Style- 56-1064DF
Body No CL 1204
Trim No 611
Paint 705

Along with the re-paint, i will probably take care of a few exterior trim pieces that could use replacing since we didnt use a lot of reproduction parts, and they definitely need to be replaced. Hoping to have it back together and at the shows by next summer.

As it was found:

Bye-Bye old paint and rust, lower quarter panel was about 2" thick bondo filling a big dent.

Frame restored with drivetrain installed:

Finished product 1999:

Nasty paint now, 14 years later:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
What happened during the paint prep process? That is crazy.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was primer, but it didn't seem to stick to the metal. It will be stripped down to bare metal, hit with 80 grit and good metal prep then re sprayed same color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.