Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the suspension in my 57 feels awful! I feel absolutely every bump, making for a scary ride. (feels like my tire is falling off though i know my tires are on just fine):sign0009:
I noticed some air lines going to my rear shocks. I'm very new to the world of suspension and would really appreciate some advice. Is there some tuning that i can do to these old parts to fix this issue or should i just buy a new setup? If i should buy new stuff what should i buy?

·
Administrator
50,519 Posts
Air shocks don`t have much give in them. They will feel very stiff and ride harsh. I ran them for years on my chevelle and my 57 both. Do you need the lift of the air shocks for your setup?
Terry

·
Administrator
50,519 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,746 Posts
Welcome to the sight Fevo....Recommend some Monroe Gasmatics and while your at it, install a shock bar.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
you may need rear springs, hence the need for air shocks in some cases.
Certainly you could replace the shocks first and see how it sits.
From the looks of things, leaf springs are probably in order.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
I suspect that you may need new rubber bushings on the front control arms and rear springs. Also, if the rear springs have never been rebuilt, take them apart, clean between the leaves and install new inserts between the leaves. Shocks may help, but there not a cure all.
You should be able to tell if the springs are sagging by letting all the air out of the rear shocks. Does it have traction bars? Is that the purpose of the bracket clamped around the rear spring? :confused0006:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the info. I guess i should buy some new shocks and clean some leaf springs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
:sign0016: to Trifive Fevo. As Terry mentioned... dump those air shocks. And buy some Monroe Sensa-Tracs. And also as Don said inspect all your bushings they are probably in need of replacing. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Replace all 4 shocks and then test drive before you do any thing else. New shocks will make a world of difference in the ride and how the car handles. Then I would look in to the a arm bushings. There are threads on here on how to go about rebushing the a arms.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Those clamp on traction bars don't help the ride quality, either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the sight Fevo....Recommend some Monroe Gasmatics and while your at it, install a shock bar.
The shock relocation bar is almost a "must have". Those air shocks can really do a number on your trunk floor, causing metal fatigue and cracks. The photo doesn't show any damage yet but chances are good the floor is at least weakened. $50 and some time could save you an expensive and time consuming floor replacement :tu

Jon

·
Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento Fevo! From the pics in your photo album it looks like you have already done a lot of work on that "More Door" and are plenty capable. You really should go with the shock re-location bar as suggested.

Nice looking ride!

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Phew.... 580 bucks later i have a set of front and rear monroe sensa-track shocks, a weatherstrip kit, a side engine mount kit plus motor mounts, new fuel speedometer and tach gauges, and the rear shocks mounting bar kit.
Thanks for all of the advice! Ill post the results of these parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome from Sacramento Fevo! From the pics in your photo album it looks like you have already done a lot of work on that "More Door" and are plenty capable. You really should go with the shock re-location bar as suggested.

Nice looking ride!

Don
Is that a 4 door or a tilt font end reference? :confused0006: (I'm not down with the lingo i guess:hmmmm:)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Looks as tho the car is lowered....Hitting on the bump stops???

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
4 door = more door

Is that a 4 door or a tilt font end reference? :confused0006: (I'm not down with the lingo i guess:hmmmm:)
I'm not trying to put words in Don's mouth but a lot of us here refer to a 4 door car as a more door:) Not ment as a put down but as term of affection... Later, Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.