Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger front tire on my ‘57 Belair has developed a lump. At low speed, the steering wheel wobbles embarrassingly from it. I need to replace one, raised white letter tire, which most likely means I need to replace two tires; possibly all four. The tires are 70 series, if I’m replacing, will wider fit? The fronts are 14’s and rear are 15’s. If I’m buying new tires, should I take this opportunity to go all 15’s or larger? I like the existing American Racing (Torq-Thrust) wheels, but I do love Chevy Rally wheels. How would they look on this 57? Would they have the set-back I need without modification? I have finger thick clearance between the back tires outer wall and the wheel well. The previous owner told me the rear axle on this car is from an El Camino and is “a little wider” than the original. Maybe now would be the time to take a close look and decide if an original axle would give me more side clearance for existing or fatter tires. Maybe I should just try to find one BF Goodrich Radial TA P195/70R14 90S M+S with raised white letters, and drive the car.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Start with tire safety first.

What are the date codes of each of the tires.

If they are 10 years or older, get rid of them.

If they are 6 years or older, check them VERY CAREFULLY, and if you see any issues, get rid of them.

Tire date codes are three or 4 digits that are "cast" into the side wall, usually inside of an oval area. Look for something like 2509, which would be the 25th week of 2009.

If there are only three digits in the date code, they were made in 1999 or earlier.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Start with tire safety first.

What are the date codes of each of the tires.

If they are 10 years or older, get rid of them.

If they are 6 years or older, check them VERY CAREFULLY, and if you see any issues, get rid of them.

Tire date codes are three or 4 digits that are "cast" into the side wall, usually inside of an oval area. Look for something like 2509, which would be the 25th week of 2009.

If there are only three digits in the date code, they were made in 1999 or earlier.
X2.......

Lots of guys run Rally wheels... I have them with Radial T/A 255/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 front.... still plenty of room with the 8" wide rims and stock rear end width....

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
He is right, always safety first.... I'd replace both front tires and have balance weights put on the inside ..... :anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,833 Posts
Had 15 X 7's on my 57...Forget what size tires exactly....I liked the look. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You were right, emccomas. If I understand the code correctly, the tires are at least 17 years old.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You were right, emccomas. If I understand the code correctly, the tires are at least 17 years old.
You dodge a serious bullet.

Everyone please check the date codes on your tires. Forget about how many miles they have on them; a lot of these cars don't get driven much.

Here is a picture of the date code on a tire. Many of the date codes are on one side of the tire only, and may be on the inside of the tire as mounted.

Three digit date codes were used until the year 2000.

DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK YOUR SPARE AS WELL.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts