Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "55 4DR that is shaved - doors, gas tank filler and trunk. Car was purchased this way. I always liked this look. Getting the door solenoids to work properly seems to be in the bag. I am struggling with the trunk popper and wondering if I should just add back the key mechanism (powder coated black). Has anyone ever put the key release mechanism back on the car? Is it difficult? Any guidance is appreciated. Have a great day.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I have a "55 4DR that is shaved - doors, gas tank filler and trunk. Car was purchased this way. I always liked this look. Getting the door solenoids to work properly seems to be in the bag. I am struggling with the trunk popper and wondering if I should just add back the key mechanism (powder coated black). Has anyone ever put the key release mechanism back on the car? Is it difficult? Any guidance is appreciated. Have a great day.
Hey, I wouldn't give up on the trunk pop just yet! :tu I have a trunk pop in my 55 HT and it works fine, just take some more time and work out the bugs. We added a spring loaded button to raise it up a bit when you hit the trigger. I'll search for some pictures and post them for you when I locate them.

Best of luck with it!! BDR...:shakehands:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Jeff, here's what I was talking about, hope this helps, best of luck! BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. WOW. That is one badass car! Love it. So you used the standard trunk latch and release I see. Is it possible to explain to me where the cable pull from the solenoid attaches to the release itself. As I look at it, I only see a place for the key to insert. I also added the nomad bumper but without the vertical pieces! Can you also tell me where you located the control unit and relay switches?

·
Registered
399 Posts
wondering if I should just add back the key mechanism (powder coated black). Has anyone ever put the key release mechanism back on the car? Is it difficult? Any guidance is appreciated. Have a great day.
Depending on how the previous owner filled the hole for the tumbler assembly, it could be very difficult or require replacing the entire trunk lid. The tumbler rest's inside a recessed area to the lid. Most body shops will weld a small fill piece in that recessed area before doing final finish work. You will need to take a close look before progressing forward.

I agree with the others. See if you can't get the popper to work properly. The idea of a spring assist is a good one.

Best of luck on this.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Resurface,
I used a 1994-1995 honda trunk lock. It was a very easy install and it has a cable that will reach from tje lock to the front seat. Mine came with the hand release. The cool thing is that you can also hook a solenoid to it too. Take a look at the pic's and have any questions drop me a line.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts