Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 69 Chevelle that we got out a couplre of days ago and found a few issues with it. All were taken care of except a clunk in the right front brakes. We bled the lines and got the air out and after inspection we didn't see any unsual wear or signs of something lose or not right. It happens when the brakes are applied harder than normal. It's almost like the pressure is applied all at once istead of gradually. It is a disc brake kit that we installed when we rebuilt the car a few years ago. we also put in new lines too so everything is only 3 years old.
Any suggestions as to what it might be?:confused0006:
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
he's right

chevyman has it right .make sure the rubber o-ring is lubed well also. If there is a lot of corrosion on th caliper mount bolts replace them. bolts have to be smooth for floating feature to work.:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hey Big Dave, I recently had a similar experience with my Monte Carlo. It turned out to be the bonded disc brake pad had separated from the plate and was 'floating' in the caliper. As soon as I took off the caliper, it fell out. Still worked though, and didn't ruin anything.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I've had a worn idler arm that would make a clunk when braking hard... It was on a 68 Chevelle...
The whole front suspension and steering linkage takes a hit when you slam the brakes on hard so check it all...

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
everything was replaced 3 years ago when we rebuilt the car, good thought though. we are looking at the caliper bolts this afternoon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts