Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having another brain cramp. I have two holes and two welded nuts in the floor located just to the left of the accelerator pedal. I don’t seem to have a need for them. Can someone tell me what these were for?
Thanks.

AF78A0DC-1BD4-4A31-8EAF-AF1EF88855F8.jpeg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emergency brake roller assembly on the firewall side.
That’s it! I haven’t reinstalled the emergency brake. I’m not sure I’m going to put it back on. Anyway, problem solved.
Thanks so much.
George

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
There are actually two sets of assemblies so keep an eye out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will. I think I have all the emergency brake parts in one box.
Thanks
George

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
GM replacement. The originals were black plastic over a steel reinforcement

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
That’s it! I haven’t reinstalled the emergency brake. I’m not sure I’m going to put it back on. Anyway, problem solved.
Thanks so much.
George
Why would you choose not to install the emergency brake?
Just curious. Mine was missing from my car when I bought it, and I had to purchase most of the parts and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I’m not mistaken, the lack of an emergency brake doesn’t keep ones car from running. Since I can’t remember the last time I used an emergency brake, I just kind of decided to take a pass. I’m open to opinions on the subject. I could be convinced to change my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, the lack of an emergency brake doesn’t keep ones car from running. Since I can’t remember the last time I used an emergency brake, I just kind of decided to take a pass. I’m open to opinions on the subject. I could be convinced to change my mind.
Hello Geo57,

Here is my point of view...I consider it a parking brake rather than an emergency brake. In that context I consider it essential, even with an automatic transmission car. The parking pawl in an AT was not designed to take the full weight of a car (such as when parked on an incline). Even a manual transmission car can benefit from the use of a parking brake. I would never park any of my vehicles without setting the parking brake.

Just my two cents...your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I have the emergency brakes connected it doesnt work that well & I never ever use one on any car the 56 had a automatic when I first did the LS Swap & does again now but I had a T56 in it two summers ago & did need it to work better than it does. Once when parking on a steep drive way it would not keep the car from rolling back even in gear. Probably need to add that to my to do list.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
I have the emergency brakes connected it doesnt work that well & I never ever use one on any car the 56 had a automatic when I first did the LS Swap & does again now but I had a T56 in it two summers ago & did need it to work better than it does. Once when parking on a steep drive way it would not keep the car from rolling back even in gear. Probably need to add that to my to do list.
In my humble opinion a properly adjusted and maintained parking brake mechanism will hold a parked vehicle under any normal circumstance, as that is how they were engineered from the factory.

And the Trifive parking brake system is very easy to adjust and maintain.

And yes, I am an unabashed fan of the use of the parking brake. :D

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
In my humble opinion a properly adjusted and maintained parking brake mechanism will hold a parked vehicle under any normal circumstance, as that is how they were engineered from the factory.

Certainly not saying it's a bad habit just one I never started & yes it's not hard to make function properly & true on a real steep grade you run the risk of the park pawl not holding but that I have never had happen

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you want a black parking brake handle for the original look, a metal one is available in black.
My plastic handle was cracked -- someone pulled too hard?
Vic

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want a black parking brake handle for the original look, a metal one is available in black.
My plastic handle was cracked -- someone pulled too hard?
Vic
My emergency brake handle is broken also. I think I have seen more broken original handles than unbroken.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Geo57,

Here is my point of view...I consider it a parking brake rather than an emergency brake. In that context I consider it essential, even with an automatic transmission car. The parking pawl in an AT was not designed to take the full weight of a car (such as when parked on an incline). Even a manual transmission car can benefit from the use of a parking brake. I would never park any of my vehicles without setting the parking brake.

I agree with you. However, in my 54 years of driving, I have only felt I needed a parking brake a handful of times. I live in the corn belt of Illinois. There aren’t a lot of steep inclines to be found.

That said, you’ve convinced me. I will make plans to reinstall the emergency brake.
Thanks for your thoughts .
George.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I can't wait until you get to the part when you reinstall those rollers and brackets. I found mine especially entertaining, especially getting the cable on the right side of the roller, then getting the shoulder bolt back in the holes and a nut on it.

If you have plastic rollers, toss them and get the metal rollers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't wait until you get to the part when you reinstall those rollers and brackets. I found mine especially entertaining, especially getting the cable on the right side of the roller, then getting the shoulder bolt back in the holes and a nut on it.

If you have plastic rollers, toss them and get the metal rollers.
Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

I'd like to associate myself with both of those statements.
JR

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
My life long pal bob and I were helping his uncle with a 51 Ford with a 350 chevy installed Today. All kinds of parts had been removed and never reinstalled. Heater, defroster, emergency brake. Less then adequate workman ship. It’s a piece of you know what. And coming from me that is saying something, lol. Not a particularly nice car and part of that is all the stuff that was removed and never put back.

i think you will be happier and the car will be better if you have all the systems, especially like the parking brake, installed and functioning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts