Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any idea what this fancy little Snap On piece is for?
Found it in a dollar box at the local thrift shop, if it says Snap On its gotta be worth more than a dollar.
My guess is for adjusting the lash in a steering box, am I on the right track?
Have a great weekend!!!
Garry

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts
Found it in a dollar box at the local thrift shop, if it says Snap On its gotta be worth more than a dollar.
Have a great weekend!!!
Garry
It looks kinda like it may be a version of a vlave adjuster. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Snap-on-Valve-Adjuster-Tool/352239268515?hash=item520318b2a3:g:CqIAAOSwC-taPqOs...Is that the same patten #?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More details

The removable piece is a socket with a hexagonal drive, don’t remember what the socket size is, but it’s bigger than a steering box lock nut.
The flat screwdriver like blade is attached to that little handle, and is spring loaded to move out.
Garry

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
SWAG The "screwdriver" end looks like it will fit a drag link adjustment slug like our cars have.

Old special tool possibly for a teens to 30's whatever.

Conversation item hang it on your shop wall.

·
Registered
1957 210 two door sedan driver hot rod sbc stick
789 Posts
I have no idea what that tool is intended to help you do, however, as an owner of a few 'modern' Snap-on' tools I must say that is the homeliest thing I have seen bearing the Snap-On name. Most of their stuff is finished to jewelry status.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I have no idea what that tool is intended to help you do, however, as an owner of a few 'modern' Snap-on' tools I must say that is the homeliest thing I have seen bearing the Snap-On name. Most of their stuff is finished to jewelry status.
The stuff I have that was my Grandpas was not finished like todays. However it was every bit as tough. They used to make specialty stuff for others like 5/8 drive sockets for military.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Have a great weekend!!!
Garry
Its a valve clearence adjusting tool. If it is stamped with the letters PWA its for Pratt and Whitney aircraft engines. Worth $75.
Note: should be a date code stamped on it. Code is only single digit.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The stuff I have that was my Grandpas was not finished like todays. However it was every bit as tough. They used to make specialty stuff for others like 5/8 drive sockets for military.
I had a complete set of vintage 5/8 snap on sockets and the metal box that they came in. never used them. I gifted them to my eldest son who is into WWII reenacting. He was elated . I had bought them at a estate sale because they where 6 point. and was disappointed to find out they where 5/8 drive. My wife went and collected a lot of my old & weird tools and nailed them to the walls of the utility room. I think I might stil have one of those valve adjusters in the hoard. Haven laid eyes on it in years and never used it. A drag link is adjusted with a bladed socket. I have several of those sockets.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I have one similar to that one that I used with my Dad in his garage to adjust valves on Y Block Fords, 272, 292, 312"s. It was a real timesaver and a B---- without it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about this one??

Thanks for all the feedback, I knew someone would know.
How about this one? Found it at the same thrift store for about the same price.
A Google search of the number says it’s for U-joints, any idea how it’s supposed to work?
Thanks.
Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never Did Find Out What This Is

Looks like this thread fell off the map a long time ago, anybody got any idea what this thing might be for?

Thanks, have a great weekend.

Garry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts