Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang! I haven't visited the site in a while, been so busy that time just seems to fly by. Anyway, it's good to be back. Steve, (steve's pro street) I didn't know you were a member, how cool is that!! I had e-mailed you at your shop a couple months ago with a question about buying a narrowed back half for my 55 frame and you answered me right back. Thanks again, a lot of places won't go out of their way if your not buying something but you were very helpful. I have decided to narrow the frame myself (that's half the fun isn't it?) so I am building a jig to set the frame up in. I want to use the original rails and just move them in and maybe box them. I am considering an S10 rear as the width on them is 54 inches whereas the 55 rear is 60. I was thinking that this would be a good choice as long as I am cutting off the spring perches and using ladder bars anyways. I am told that if you can find an S10 with the codes G80-GT4 in the glovebox, than it is a 3:73 posi. If anyone has tried this or has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Well, so long for now- Glenn

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Just a thought...............

A narrowed back half is usually done to stuff in some big-boy tires.. if you have the HP to really turn them over, would an S-10 differencial be strong enough? I suppose with an automatic trans there will be less "shock"..

All I know is every one will tell you that a 9" Ford is super strong, and I broke mine twice! If it happens again, my next move will be to go with an aftermarket case.

55 Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
i would stay clear of an s10 rear they are really week. i imagine that with large tires this would add even more stress to already weak axles. i had 28 spline 9 inch axles and broke one with about 375 horse on a 275/60/15 drag radial. just my .02 cents. i would possible look for a f**d 8.8 rear out of a stang or something of that nature.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys! Thanks for the replies. I am leary on the strength of an S10 rear, but have recently been told that the ZR2 blazer came through with an 8.8 ring gear and 3:73 ratio. I haven't found one yet, but if I do and it is reasonably priced, I might give it a try. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks-Glenn

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
If you plan on the car really hooking up, I would opt for a 9". If I was just going cruise it, the S-10 would be okay. Just keep some tires on it that you can spin easy enough to take the stress off the rear end.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put a 57 olds rearend in a 55 hardtop I had with a 402 and turbo 400. I was told by friends that I couldn't break it. I guess I shouldn't have taken that as a dare. Just remembering the sound of it as it dynamited itself still sends a chill up my spine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Glenn
I got this from another post maybe it will help. there's more to read if you go to search and type in trans. look for the post marked T5 it has some good stuff about s10 transmissions. below is some of that post.
John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You come to the right guy. LOL. I have put T5's in just about everything.

Tom's 57
To keep the bench seat you will have to use a trans from a S10. The Camaro T5 shifter will come out right at the bench with the seat all the way back. Plus the stock shifter is angled to the passenger side because the stock bell housing from a Camaro is made to angle the tranny to the left. In other words if you turn the tranny upright the shifter will point at the pass side window. Or use the aftermarket bell housing to mount the trans at the proper angle and make a cross member, but the shifter is still to far back. I have seen a couple of homemade shifters for this, but they looked pitiful.

Now with using a S10 tranny it will have the shifter moved forward about 8 to 10" and have the shifter straight up (like normal) The S10 has a 14 spline input shaft and the largest clutch disk is 9 11/16". which is fine for a stock engine. If you have a hotter engine you can do another trick to use the S10 T5 tranny.

You can buy a V8 T5 world class transmission and a S10 T5 and use the S10 tailshaft housing and shifter top plate on the V8 tranny that has the 26 spline input shaft. That way you can use the larger clutch disk and throw a little more power to the tranny. Also the yoke has to be changed and probably shorten a drive shaft. All T5's, TH350, 4L60E, use the same yoke.

The V8 tranny is built to handle the higher torque newer engines, but I have used the S10 trannys on a couple of V8's with no problems.

The bell on the left is from the camaro and turns the tranny to the left. The orange bell housing is the straight mount like what the 57 has. The tranny on the left is from the camaro and you can see how far back the shifter is. The tranny on the right is from the S10 that moves the shifter forward.

Both trannys can usually be found on Ebay and is a low buck answer to the 5speed swap.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Glen,

Here is a slide show you can watch that should show you what you want to know. Jim

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/Black-55/

This is how my frame was narrowed. I have a 9" ford, strange case, billet pinion support, and moser 31 spline axles, with detroit locker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same setup as Black 55, I believe in the 9", but you need the 31 spline or better axles and a locker!! I run a 700R4 with a 2800 stall, and was able to lift the front wheels from a roll!! I have never has a problem with it. I've had it to the track and still not a problem. I can't tell you what an S10 comes with, granted it is a truck rear. But I don't think it is anything like a 12 bolt, 1500 or 2500 Chevy rear. I've blown up all my old 10 bolt 57 Chevy rears except my 488 57. It was an original 4 series carrier and I did have Dutchman axles, and had street tires, not the 275/60 drag radials I run now. The 9" parts are cheaper because Nascar uses so many of them and most of there motors are 600-700 HP. It must mean something!!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Jig

Hi gang! I haven't visited the site in a while, been so busy that time just seems to fly by. Anyway, it's good to be back. Steve, (steve's pro street) I didn't know you were a member, how cool is that!! I had e-mailed you at your shop a couple months ago with a question about buying a narrowed back half for my 55 frame and you answered me right back. Thanks again, a lot of places won't go out of their way if your not buying something but you were very helpful. I have decided to narrow the frame myself (that's half the fun isn't it?) so I am building a jig to set the frame up in. I want to use the original rails and just move them in and maybe box them. I am considering an S10 rear as the width on them is 54 inches whereas the 55 rear is 60. I was thinking that this would be a good choice as long as I am cutting off the spring perches and using ladder bars anyways. I am told that if you can find an S10 with the codes G80-GT4 in the glovebox, than it is a 3:73 posi. If anyone has tried this or has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Well, so long for now- Glenn
A jig is a good thing, but as you can gather by my pic, something that you will never use again unless you decide to do it for a living. You are welcome to look through my website for any ideas you might need. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6394656&uid=2283636&members=1

·
Registered
11,213 Posts

Good Idea, it is in use for now, but I may just do that. It has casters that attach for quick movement but it's still a bear to move by yourself.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts

Good Idea, it is in use for now, but I may just do that. It has casters that attach for quick movement but it's still a bear to move by yourself.
Nick, I think you better start over on a new chassis. You want a nicer one than that. Oh, I need directions to your place so I can come get that out of your way :D

Just kidding. Looks like a nice setup there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts