Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2Dr Hardtop
93 Posts
Post up if you're in Nebraska.

I live near Lincoln, would be fun to have a 'cruise to' location and meet some of you.
I'm in Omaha. Sure missed the Speedway coffee cruises this year! Hopefully they will have them next year.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are more, probably here from them Monday when they get to work. Hah!

Does 'Fuelie' imply you have a fuelie? How familiar are you with the system? Are fuelie setups same for tri-fives and Corvettes?

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2Dr Hardtop
93 Posts
There are more, probably here from them Monday when they get to work. Hah!

Does 'Fuelie' imply you have a fuelie? How familiar are you with the system? Are fuelie setups same for tri-fives and Corvettes?
Work! Used to have a 65 Corvette with a 60-61 FI unit. Had it on my 57 for many years, then on my 37 Ford, then back on the 57 for a while. Sold it a few years back. Rebuilt a lot of them. Pretty sure there are differences, but nothing major. Ones I rebuilt were all off Corvettes.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Work! Used to have a 65 Corvette with a 60-61 FI unit. Had it on my 57 for many years, then on my 37 Ford, then back on the 57 for a while. Sold it a few years back. Rebuilt a lot of them. Pretty sure there are differences, but nothing major. Ones I rebuilt were all off Corvettes.
Thanks for responding. I am my family's mechanic and a '62 fuelie Corvette recently joined the ranks. I haven't gone past studying the information GM put out on mechanical fuel injection. I've found it to be quite comprehensive. Are there other sources of information on the subject you would recommend?

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2Dr Hardtop
93 Posts
Thanks for responding. I am my family's mechanic and a '62 fuelie Corvette recently joined the ranks. I haven't gone past studying the information GM put out on mechanical fuel injection. I've found it to be quite comprehensive. Are there other sources of information on the subject you would recommend?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been working outside all day. I started out with some articles in Popular Hot Rodding, probably in the late 60s or early 70s that were good. Found a book 55-62 Corvette Complete Owners Handbook by Clymer Publications that has a good section on FI. Also have the Rochester FI Service Manual published by GM. Search the internet for Jerry Bramlett, lots of good info. there, plus he is a great guy as is John DeGregory. Bought all my parts from John. Very helpful besides. Hope he is still around and selling parts, been a few years since I've rebuilt one.
Where did the 62 come from? Biggest problem with the FI now is the crappy gas! How does it run? Bring it to Speedway if they have the Saturday coffee next year.
Take care!
Ken

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The '62 was an anniversary gift to my Mom in the early '80's. It had the original intake and carb on it back then. Car was sold in the late '80's then reacquired this past Christmas. It has been in the Lincoln area for as long as I've been aware of the car. At some point in the 30 years since selling and reacquiring the car, it had a 1962 fuelie conversion. The car is run on 91 octane and runs fairly well, although it is difficult to start when hot. My understanding is that may be a fuel quality issue. There is access to 100 octane in a pump, but at $10/gallon that takes a hit on the wallet.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I'm near Seward. I've been here a while, I know a few Nebraska guys in the area. I went once with my '55 to Cars & Coffee at Speedway last year. There's still a fairly good turnout at Culver's/Sam's Club on North 27th Street in Lincoln on Friday nights. Usually a few tri-fives there. My '55's in a storage bag right now as I've started a new project. A Hemi powered Studebaker; bullet-nose convertible.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the season is setting on the north Culver's Friday nights. I made it out to Cars & Coffee just once last year, same for the north Culver's. My neighbor has a '65 Galaxy that he fancies. He in his Galaxy and I in a '65 Impala, both four door cars, cruised to the South Culver's gathering once as well.

Do you have a thread somewhere for the Stud-maker?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I'm finishing up some home projects this month then I hope to get started on the Stude. At that time I'll throw it out there to see if there's interest in watching the build on this site. It'll be like I said, Hemi powered so I'm not sure there'll be much interest. I have an older brother who had bought the car in 1957, the year I was born. Being a good farmer, he never let it go, but it sat left to rust away until the mid-70's when I dug it out of the ground and got it into a shed. He retired from farming so I brought the car home and I'm waiting to start on it this winter. The Hemi power unit is coming from my Durango which the insurance company totaled after I hit a deer almost a year ago now. There is a local guy here whom I refer to as the Oracle of Mopar. He's going to help me with the ecm and all that stuff to get it to run using as much as I can from the Durango.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That makes five of us, so far. I'm quite familiar with about an hour west of Lincoln. My office is in York, must not be too far from you guys. Either of you ever go to Chances 'R' or Kerry's down in McCool Junction? Kerry catered my wedding reception with his prime rib. That has to be the best prime rib ever, especially when paired with his creamy horseradish sauce. I'm making myself hungry for it. Think I'll cruise over there next weekend.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Chances "R"' yes! Had our daughter's wedding reception there back in 2011. I think it was Kerry's that had my friend's daughter's wedding reception a couple years ago when the city park flooded here in Seward closing the reception halls.

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2Dr Hardtop
93 Posts
Chances "R"' yes! Had our daughter's wedding reception there back in 2011. I think it was Kerry's that had my friend's daughter's wedding reception a couple years ago when the city park flooded here in Seward closing the reception halls.
Our car club used to cruise to Chances "R" once a year. Stay off the interstate. Nice cruise and WAY too much to eat! Club even paid for it!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts