Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
There's a bit of snow out there today. I hope your Tri-Fives are tucked away nice and cozy. Mine sat out last year, glad it's inside today, though. My daughter shoveled for three hours earlier today and it was difficult to tell by the time she came inside. My pickup is about a foot or more taller than it was yesterday. I'm headed out to clear the concrete again. Stay warm, gentleman.
yes we got the snow today. Haven’t seen this much in a long time. Will be going out around 8 to blow mine. Stay warm and drive safe!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Snowed!

You can see between the cars at the bottom of the photo where my daughter shoveled about three hours ago.
You certainly have some snow! Be careful out there. I am going to wait till later to start my big snowblower (30 inch Ariens). The city piling up snow in front of driveway doesn't bother me at all.
Used my Hagerty insurance today. My 57 was in body shop. I had a lot of loose parts in the trunk. The technician removed parts to work on the radio' rear speaker. The part didn't get back in the trunk ok. Customers come into shop area all the time. I dont think the people at body shop would have take my part. It had to be a customer. Hagerty insures your extra parts also. Glass jar & lid to my vacuum ash tray is missing. They do make repop units now. Mine was original. I didn't settle for repop ashtray. The claim agent worked with me on replacing with original. I found a NOS ashtray on eBay. The listing didn't look like all the other ashtray listings. Anyhow my NOS ashtray is on its way to Nebraska. The glass says"duraglas" on it's bottom & ok. The lid & mounting bracket are perfect.

57sportmn

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I hope you guys were able to clear your snow. One might think a snow blower would be a wise investment right about now. The snow is heavy and deep and this is the third time today it's been shoveled. I did not finish my task tonight. It got dark out and I couldn't keep my glasses from fogging over. In daylight I can just work without my glasses but even with all the bright white stuff it wasn't working in the dark. Something to look forward to for tomorrow.

57sportmn, it's a shame that a business is unable to look after your property while under their care. I hope you had a talk with them about operating a bit classier. The Hagerty insurance story is pretty amazing, that they would pay out the extra money for NOS parts to replace your original parts is good business. I have Hagerty on 'vette, but haven't put enough into the '56 to worry about it so much. I suppose that will change when I finish the chassis, though.

How 'bout the lady Huskers basketball team getting the sweeping win on the road tonight at Illinois, pretty exciting game to listen to.

Stay warm, my Husker friends.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Oh, and Will, I'm not driving anywhere unless I absolutely have to. My pickup is a Chevy 3500 dually so when I do have to go out there is little concern that I will make it back home safe. The wife, on the other hand, well she just stayed at the hospital tonight and will do it all over again in the morning without having to deal with driving in this stuff.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Funny thing is my siblings and I just had some old home movies digitized. I was watching the other day and there was footage of the Feb 11, 1965 snow storm where we got the current record 19". Yesterday's snow is now in 2nd place, 14-1/2"at the Lincoln airport. I don't think quite that much here.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm south of the Lincoln airport, about 10 miles, I can tell you there is 14" on the ground where we shoveled about 12" from yesterday. I shoveled over my lunch break, got about half a parking space done. 'bout to head back out there to finish the job.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm originally from Nebraska, born in Franklin and lived 30 years in Aurora. My 57 is from a junk yard in Hastings. (bought it in 1975 at 15) Currently live in Des Moines but do take the 57 back to Nebraska when I can. Mostly in the summers back to see family and friends.
The 57 is mostly a fair weather cruiser but I've been caught in hail, rain, wind, and have had it out in the snow but not during the storm.

Hope this next summer I'll be able to take it out Back to Nebraska, My Wife and I always like to catch any show or car activity if we can while were back so we check with who ever we can when we know we will be around.
Is there a place or location that is best to find out car show and event information, times and dates? In Iowa we have "Ricks list" and he is up on most of what is happening from river to river.

Thanks
Gary Sanger

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm originally from Nebraska, born in Franklin and lived 30 years in Aurora. My 57 is from a junk yard in Hastings. (bought it in 1975 at 15) Currently live in Des Moines but do take the 57 back to Nebraska when I can. Mostly in the summers back to see family and friends.
The 57 is mostly a fair weather cruiser but I've been caught in hail, rain, wind, and have had it out in the snow but not during the storm.

Hope this next summer I'll be able to take it out Back to Nebraska, My Wife and I always like to catch any show or car activity if we can while were back so we check with who ever we can when we know we will be around.
Is there a place or location that is best to find out car show and event information, times and dates? In Iowa we have "Ricks list" and he is up on most of what is happening from river to river.

Thanks
Gary Sanger

Thanks
Gary Sanger
Hello from Nebraska! It's always nice to hear from another member of the tri-five community.
Omaha.com, has a car section. Some of the car show & swap meets listed. Probably the most complete event listing's are in "Nebr. Iowa Car Council" booklet. The booklets are distributed @ the "Rocky Mang, Swap Meet-, 1st Sat. in March"@ the Lincoln event's center. It's the first Sunday in March. Nebraska' biggest swap Meet

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Hey Buckshot, there is a good car culture out there in the tri-city area, Grand Island/Hastings/Kearney. Kearney has one of the largest gatherings in the state annually. Plus they've built a car museum there in Kearney worth the look. There's also a two day Nebraska cruise that is well attended. One of those things, put a car in a show and before you know it the inside is full of car show invites.

·
Registered
1957 Bel Air 2Dr Hardtop
93 Posts
Hey Buckshot, there is a good car culture out there in the tri-city area, Grand Island/Hastings/Kearney. Kearney has one of the largest gatherings in the state annually. Plus they've built a car museum there in Kearney worth the look. There's also a two day Nebraska cruise that is well attended. One of those things, put a car in a show and before you know it the inside is full of car show invites.
Just in case you haven't already heard, the March swap meet will not be held this year. Books will still be available through your car club representative if the club is a member of the Car Council, and your rep. picks the books up at the designated time and place. You can also find it online at www.enwicc.com
Nebraska Rod and Custom is also a very worthwhile organization to join. Originally started as a watchdog to keep an eye on the legislature. Since 1993, we have had an event the first weekend in June called Tour Nebraska. We drive 600 miles, 300 on Saturday, and 300 on Sunday, taking the old roads and through the smaller towns as much as possible. For the past few years, we have given away a complete engine from Blueprint Engines in Kearney NE. Cheap to join $15.00 a a year. To go on the Tour, your car must be 30 years or older.
Website is www.nrca.wildapricot.org
Hope we are done with snow for a while!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks for chiming in, Gary! Always great to hear from Nebraska transplants, where ever they are. Maybe we can get a Tri-Five lunch organized when you come through this summer. Lot of good information here on local clubs and shows. The Nebraska Iowa Car Council's online version of their car show book is a great resource.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Ah heck! I forgot about Seward's 4th of July car show. The 4th of July is a big deal here. Was cancelled last year. Would be nice if it happens this year. It's a patriotic event, so it may be censored this year! Since I'm local, I'll be there. Won best of Seward County with my '55 and 3rd in stock class with my '62 Falcon in 2019. Funny thing is that Falcon won 1st at the Falcon Nationals the same year in the stock 60-62 class.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ah heck! I forgot about Seward's 4th of July car show. The 4th of July is a big deal here. Was cancelled last year. Would be nice if it happens this year. It's a patriotic event, so it may be censored this year! Since I'm local, I'll be there. Won best of Seward County with my '55 and 3rd in stock class with my '62 Falcon in 2019. Funny thing is that Falcon won 1st at the Falcon Nationals the same year in the stock 60-62 class.
I enjoy the Seward show, with all the Independence Day activities going on its a full day of fun. The National Guard museum is there, too, with some real nice exhibits.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hello from Nebraska! It's always nice to hear from another member of the tri-five community.
Omaha.com, has a car section. Some of the car show & swap meets listed. Probably the most complete event listing's are in "Nebr. Iowa Car Council" booklet. The booklets are distributed @ the "Rocky Mang, Swap Meet-, 1st Sat. in March"@ the Lincoln event's center. It's the first Sunday in March. Nebraska' biggest swap Meet

Been there! quite an event for sure, a few years ago in that book your talking about there was a picture that had a turquoise 57 and a 32 three window going down Grand at the Good Guys. That was me and my wife, I was driving the 57 and my Wife was handling the 32.
never did get one of those books but seen a few, of course that was the year I didn't go to the swap meet, go figure.
anyway thanks for the input and the information. I will need to got a hold of one.

Thank you,

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, Gary! Always great to hear from Nebraska transplants, where ever they are. Maybe we can get a Tri-Five lunch organized when you come through this summer. Lot of good information here on local clubs and shows. The Nebraska Iowa Car Council's online version of their car show book is a great resource.
Sounds like a great plan!! Would enjoy meeting you and sharing our common car interests.

·
Registered
387 Posts

I was from that Tri cities area, and your right it was and is a great area full of car history. I went to Hastings Tech CTCC in 77 and was working in a body shop in Aurora on weekends and my time off of school.
I was truly amazed at all the history I learned working with the guy (Don Swartz) I worked with.
He was a product of the mid to late 40s when him and the Vetter Brothers started the Dodge dealership. Don was the Main man in the body shop and the Vetter Bros ran the sales and mechanics. Don later stepped down from being a partner and still just ran the shop.
But the Car Culture history from the late 40s through the 70s was great to hear. Loved it!!
Don was into a lot of custom stuff in the 50s and was a great person to learn from doing Body and fender work.
He was the last guy in the area to stop using lead and went to using plastic fillers in the early 70s for the first time. He was a meal finishing genius, didn't matter how wadded up it was he always found a way to make it straight and without fillers most of the time. Seen a lot of amazing things happen to metal. Most everyone would tell me when he wasn't around that he probably forgot more than most people know about body repair work.
Seemed to like everyone that he talked to had a story about things he fixed or done with them and of course their cars.
Wish I would have had the foresight to write some of the stuff down. Worked with him for 13 years.

Gary S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Been there! quite an event for sure, a few years ago in that book your talking about there was a picture that had a turquoise 57 and a 32 three window going down Grand at the Good Guys. That was me and my wife, I was driving the 57 and my Wife was handling the 32.
never did get one of those books but seen a few, of course that was the year I didn't go to the swap meet, go figure.
anyway thanks for the input and the information. I will need to got a hold of one.

Thank you,
Here is a link to the car council booklet; www.enwicc.com. Elder Jewelry (Bellevue, Ne.) is an advertiser in booklet. A friend of mine has found the booklets there. I hope that you will be able tofind one this year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like the 4th of July will be back this year. I plan on taking my 55 to the show. Anyone interested? If we want to park together we need to drive in together since they park you as you arrive.
Well, my car is still not finished yet. Pandemic, broken ankle and poor workmanship by body shop tech. If I could take the car.......I would drive it to car show. Seward was one of the towns I cruised back in the day. Have a great time!

57sportmn.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts