Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 sedan and I'm putting it all back together since it came to me in boxes. What I would like to know is could someone measure the spacer/shims under their radiator support so I can get a better idea of what that distance is.Yes I have been to the stock 56 assembly manual section and no details,i know that they will all be a little different due to sheet metal variances and such. just trying to get the front fenders and radiator support to line up,thanks Marty

·
12,256 Posts
You need to shim it until the fenders line up with the front of the doors. A measurement isn't going to help you much.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Yep, trial and error. I would start with one inch and thats including the rubber strip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize it will be trial and error BUT can someone please get me in the ballpark! I have a wood stake and a few metal washers and the fenders are close but Figured someone could take five minutes with a caliper or tape and give me a ball park measurement,i'm not feeling the love here.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Marty, it depends on the car itself. If you have old body mounts, the body will be sagging and take way less. If you have new ones, start with one inch. I use a floor jack under the core support and jack it up till the fenders start to get a nice line against the doors, then I start stuffing in the shims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts