Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently shipped my 55 wagon project back to Minnesota from Colorado. The move went great, my dad and his buddy had the thing running within a few hours.. I doubt she has been running in more than 10 years so you can imagine how much more excitment for to get my a$$ moved home to start working on the car WITH my dad.
But to the point
I had not yet transfered the title because I plan to move and didnt want to transfer it twice (CO now and MN next month). I filled out the title, PHOTOGRAPHED it with my ID, and sent the title along with the car to MN. The car and title arrived safe and sound but in the excitement to check out the car my dad misplaced the title.
heres where I'm at.
I bought the car from "owner B", we didnt do a bill of sale, just cash for car and go. "owner B" never transfered the title into his name and he also did not have a 'bill of sale' with "owner A".
So the title I HAD, was signed by the original seller(owner A) stating that he was, in fact, selling the car. There was nothing written on the title from "owner B"... and no proof that he or I technically owned the car.
I'm now worried that if I contact "owner A" and ask him to get a new copy of the title and send it to me that he might claim it stolen or that he never sold it to the guy I bought it from... and on and on (imagine worse case scenario)

With the car now on my property in MN ...possession being 9/10ths of the law and all, and with a photographed copy of the title, what can I do to be sure i'm protected and dont lose my new toy before I even get to play with it.
:p3: please advise!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
With your brothers it sure is "possession is 9/10ths of the law" when you're bickering over the last piece of cake but I don't think it works that way with cars and titles.

The car could legitimately be yours and if you contact the "titled" owner things could work out just fine.

The car and title could have been stolen from the "titled" owner and their signature forged and now you're holding stolen property.

Lots of possibilities.

If you added any upgrades to the car, then take them off before contacting the "titled" owner. You may lose the car.

Or leave it out in the street and someone will come along and claim "finders keepers". :)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
CP....Go to your state Registry of Motor Vehicles with the documentation you have and plead your case.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,753 Posts
My brother used to buy a lot of cars without titles. He would then have the state (PA) do a title search and if the car was never reported stolen, they would send him a new title in his name. Not sure of all the exact proceedings but basically that's how it went. Seems I recall a pencil tracing of the vin tag was part of the deal. Contact your local authorities and go from there.

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
get it straightened out before you put any more money into car. contact owner on the title you have and go from there. :anim_25: ................ no bill of sale and title from owner B, don't get that. :damnmate:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
You may be worrying over nothing. Contact the owner "A"and go from there. If the car is stolen, you are not entitled to the car. :anim_25:bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
This happens often with classic cars. I bought my 1960 Corvette from a guy who never registered the car in his name and had lost the original transferable registration document for the car that he was given when he bought the car 10 or 15 years prior. . . Here in NYS no titles are issued for these old cars, just transferable registrations. Anyway... he bought it from a guy who never registered the car either. When I bought the car from the seller he contacted the DMV and told his story. They provided an affidavit he had to complete and have notarized. He gave me the form and I submitted it to the DMV as the new owner with an application for a transferable registration. The NYS DMV granted me a NON-transferable registration for one year. Upon the expiration of the one year and no other claims were made for ownership to the car, I was granted a new, TRANSFERABLE registration.

Go to your DMV and explain your case. Some of the people there are actually interested in helping you. If you encounter one who is not ask for a supervisor.

Don

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm now worried that if I contact "owner A" and ask him to get a new copy of the title and send it to me that he might claim it stolen or that he never sold it to the guy I bought it from... and on and on (imagine worse case scenario)

With the car now on my property in MN ...possession being 9/10ths of the law and all, and with a photographed copy of the title, what can I do to be sure i'm protected and dont lose my new toy before I even get to play with it.
:p3: please advise!!
Even if "Owner B" did not transfer ownership, they would've been required to be recognized on the title at the time of sale. Maybe? So I would take your copy and see if they are noted on it anywhere. If not, you might get lucky. That way you could claim to be the new owner.

I don't know that I would contact "Owner A". Too many risk's involved and they have no clue who you are. They could think you're scamming them.

"Owner A" is required to report the car sold within 5 days. Let's hope they did. And the only way you'll find that out is to visit your local DMV and explain that before you could transfer title, the original was lost and present the copy to them. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to pay twice (now and later once you move) in order to get this corrected.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
No need to answer... why in the world would you ever buy a car without a bill of sale?

Charlie

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I know in Iowa you can put a one year bond up, and if no one claims the car, they will issue a title. I bought an old basket case Cushman scooter at a swap meet years ago for $100.00. NE told me they would do a search, and if it is not stolen, they would issue me a title. I didn't worry about a bill of sale for $100.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts