Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a universal wiring harness and installed it in my 55 Chevy. The problem is that all of the wires going to the ignition switch just slip on indivually, so the problem is they keep slipping off. Does anyone have an old wiring harness that I could buy just the cluster that plugs on the back of the ignition switch with about 8 or 10 inches of the wiring attached to it so I can splice my wires to it and keep it from coming off.
Please reply with the price and do you take a credit card. I need this part asap so I can get my 55 back on the road.

Another question. I have checked and all of the wires coming to the switch seem to be connected correctly but after cranking up my 55 when I start to shut it off the starter tries to engage again, is this the ignition switch?
Please all replies to [email protected]

Thanks a million guys,
Wade Watts
513 Eskie Dixon Rd.
Elgin, SC 29045

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
If the individual connectors are sliding off the switch, a plug is NOT going to help. It may keep the terminal from sliding off, but if the terminal is sliding off, it is too loose and is a bad connection, which will adventually heat up and melt some wire or worse. You need to tighten the connectors or replace them. I use indivual connectors with shrink tube over them with no problems.
The recrank problem may be the switch.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I bought a universal wiring harness and installed it in my 55 Chevy. The problem is that all of the wires going to the ignition switch just slip on indivually, so the problem is they keep slipping off. Does anyone have an old wiring harness that I could buy just the cluster that plugs on the back of the ignition switch with about 8 or 10.........

Another question. I have checked and all of the wires coming to the switch seem to be connected correctly but after cranking up my 55 when I start to shut it off the starter tries to engage again, is this the ignition switch?
Please all replies to [email protected]

Thanks a million guys,
Wade Watts
Wade,
It is not clear if your switch is original or a replacement. Originally the wire terminals are connected individually. I am not aware of a multi-connector that will mate with an original switch. I've seen many bad comments about aftermarket switches of foreign manufacture. As stated above, loose connections have to be corrected. They could possibly initiate a fire! Don't add a bunch of splices to your new wiring.

Please don't give your credit card info out to anyone other than through a secure transaction with a known entity.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would check the female ends of the wires connection to the switch and see if the tang can be adjusted. If they are not the connectors as pictures, east coast Chevy sells the individual connectors very reasonably. I used my original harness and repaired with various connectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts