Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all
Norm here
I installed a 305 eng with a 3sp auto trans out of a 77 nova in my 55 belair sedan.
My gas milage around town is about 12 -13 mpg. the eng has a 2bbl rochester carb on it.
I'm looking for better gas milage. I'm thinking of a quadra jet believing the primaries would be smaller resulting in better fuel economy .

Any other ideas and input would be appricated
Norm

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
If the quad is right it will do a little better than the 2 bbl. Quads have gotten a bad name, but that is mostly due to people who don't know what they are doing tinkering with them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'll second that...

Q-Jets are one of the most precise metering carbs that ever were. As long as the tuner has the knowledge, you can get great mileage and power out of them.

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Norm i just bought a rebuilt Q-jet from o reillys and it is one of the smoothest running ones i have ever had. Installed it in my daughters 84 chevy p.u. with a 350 in it. Haven`t checked mileage on it yet though,Terry.

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Ken the one off the p.u. was worn so bad that i wouldn`t even have thought about trying to rebuild it. A friend who owns a local shop has bought several from them and has had good luck with them. I`m not complaining as long as i got lucky also,Terry.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have rebuilt 50+ q-jets in my time and most of them worked great afterwards. The ones that didn't were either corroded inside or the rods were too sloppy. One bad thing about a q-jet is that you just want to keep putting your foot in it so you can hear those secondaries open up... WWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH. Thats when the gas mileage really sucks (sorry for the pun).

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Yes but i am not concerned too much about gas mileage on this pu, considering that it`s my teenage daughter driving it if you know what i mean. Teenagers and gas mileage aren`t usually used in the same sentence,Terry.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You could get the DualJet version if you're looking for feul economy, it's a Quadrajet body with no secondaries... I have one somewhere in the garage....

·
Registered
641 Posts
The DualJet has larger jets than the primaries of the Q-Jet.

As long as you can keep the big side closed... ;) ...the Q-Jet will get better fuel mileage than the DualJet.

Edelbrock makes a very nice QJet for installation on your stock spreadbore intake. They have a few different options, depending on choke and CFM configuration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts