Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I need more help again. I feel like I’m abusing you folks. I want to put the door panels on my 57. When I got the car the items in the pictures were in the trunk. The panels have mostly been recovered except for three of them being not glued on the bottom. I know these metal pokie things go under the covering somehow, so I guess I need to unglue the edges to put them on, plus not show I have bunches of new nail pieces (U shaped with a nail sticking out the side). It looks like there are too many of the pokie metal things and a lot don’t look like they match the door panels so I’m guessing it was a kit to fit several models (mine is a 4 door post). Does anybody have a picture of these pokie metal things installed they can post for me to look at? I’m guessing the sharp pokie things go on the back side toward the door and the smooth side towards the seats? Also there are two long metal pieces (in the picture) with out pokie things on them that look like a backwards Z from the ends. I think that they are too large to go on the doors. They were with the other stuff in the trunk. Does anyone know what these are for? Also, do the door handle springs go on before this pannel or after? I have lots of manuals, but none have this in them.
Thanks in advance for all your help, I would have never gotten this far along with out you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess no one knows for sure. I did more research and found out what the reverse Z shaped strips are for. They go on the bottom of the panel and match a strip on the bottom of the door. The kit don't look like it will work on the back doors at all as the bottom of the panel on both sides slant in and none of the pokey pices do. Does anyone know if there is an interor book on these tri-fives I can buy?

·
Administrator
48,735 Posts
From the look of this pic you will ahve to remove the lower door panel covering to install the lower strip, it installs on the cardboard before the cover is installed, as do the nail strips. Be sure and double check that the nail strips line up with the slots in the door before putting the cover on the panel.
Terry

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try first chance I get.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The covering style there looks nice. If I were you, good advice would be to replace the old cardboard door panels with a brand new pre-cut set. You can find them through Danchuk(one of the sponsors here) or I got mine from CARS INC., both companies carry the metal door strip sets and 2 pieces fit per door panel, the "Z" shaped pieces may need to be cut to fit and mount below to line up and hold the panel on, I had two and made 4 from them. Like said, you have to remove the covering to mount the metal items first. The covering is then set with a spray adhesive(3M works great), smoothed out and pulled tight over the edges to the back side through the attached strip nails to hold, it's good to end up with around 2-3" that fold over the back side because of stretching and you want the material to lay flat and nice on the front side with no sags. Also as mentioned, make sure the metal nails line up to your door slot holes first before the covering goes one. I did my 4 doors on my '57 wagon and they came out great, take your time and do not rush the job, check out the two sources I mentioned for new cardboard door panels too, it's good to start with fresh new firm panels. In my case, it had to be done because the originals were warped and very flimsy.

Here is one of my completed doors, didn't get any "as I build" pics, darn! If you still need help, I am a PM away.

:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 57CW, that's what I needed to know. Yours look great!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can tell you what I did with the panels on my 57: The panels are from CARS and the nails just wouldn't satisify me. They break easily, don't line up well and if you ever have to remove the panel for any reason- you're in trouble. I went through a tedious "session" with mine but it was worth it. I peeled back the material from the back side of the panel and removed the metal nail strip. After that I transfered the location of the nail holes on the door frame over to the panel. I bought some push in spring clips which were said to be for a F---D car and after drilling the panels to accept the clips, drilling a hole in the door frame for the clips and gluing the material back I was done. The panels fit well, snap into place and can be removed easily without braking or bending nails. I know this sounds like a lot of work -and it was- but I'm happy with the results.

Not too long after completing this task, I had a problem with my driver's side door lock and had to remove the panel in order to access the lock assembly. That's when I really appreciated the the modification I had done to the panel.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
57SC, Thanks also for the reply. The clips you used are the kind I'm use to on most all the F--Ds I restored. I'm pertty much an expert or restoring those ones with the little horses on the emblems from 641/2 trough 73.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, for every positive, I suppose there's a negative with some repro products. The CARS INC. CB DP set worked perfectly great for me and others that have used these products and this method, with a little patience and not to rush the job, you will do fine. BTW, I have had to remove a few of my panels and never had a problem with the nails breaking off, as long as you use a wide flat tool to insert between the locations. The clip idea is ok, remember those in the 60s and on. I feel there's no need for that stuff on the Trifives if done right. Like said, the new cardboard door panels are a must when assembling the metal strips and covering, hope to see your progress here. Have fun working on your Tri-Five, I sure do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you're suggesting that I'm not patient and don't to things "right," guess again. Those nails do in fact not align correctly and do break off often enough to be a problem. I've had this discussion with several knowledgeable enthusiasts with a ton of experience and they agree that this is often a problem. As far as not being period correct: I can live with it!!!

·
Administrator
48,735 Posts
Doug any local upholstery shop can get them for you. I believe the ones i got to use on mine were supposedly for a dodge. I`ll get you a part# this eveninig.
Terry

·
Registered
524 Posts
57sc, I did not call you out and never said you were impatient, what ever works for you and others you have spoke with, right on man, the author of this thread already has the nail type going by his pics, I suggested new cardboard panels if needed and let him know how mine were assembled with patience :), this is a stock forum, doing custom modded things belong in the modded forum, I suppose :rolleyes: or maybe not, those who find it a necessity to drill holes and add the clips is their decision. :cool: It's all good advice for him to think about and possibly use. :wavey: :shakehands:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts