Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this message board......but need some technical assistance, Please.

My car isn't 55-57.....but the drivetrain is.

I bought a 1956 265 Power Pack drivetrain (Engine, Powerglide and Rearend).

It came out of a nicely restored '56 bel Air that went the modern Resto-rod route. The drivetrain is supposed to be and looks FRESH.

My question is this:

Does anyone have the stock measurment for a 1955-1957 Driveshaft..u-joint center to center?
Also, what type of oil/ trans. fluid does the old Cast Iron 'glide require? Any sources for filters, (does it have one?)

One more: Does anyone have experience putting the 55-57 Powerglide in a Non- Tri-five body, opposed to the other way around.

My car is a 1951 Chevy Deluxe Coupe, otherwise bone stock.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not too many answers here. From me I mean.
The original owners manual says "Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A" bearing an AQ-ATF number. That information is celebrating its 50th birthday this year though.
I would wait on the driveshaft until after the other stuff is installed. Required length will most probably be different than a '56.
Is a '51 an open driveline or closed? Which springs would you use? Lots of questions. I seem to be asking more than I'm answering.
Pretty sure some one will jump in with more answers soon though.
Chevytalk.org has a forum for your year car if you are interested.
Welcome aboard and that sounds like a pretty neat swap if you pull it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driveshaft......

Hello,
it's a 1951 Chevy Business coupe.
I installed the stock '56 Rearend....on the stock leaf springs. It doesn't line up perfectly... I will need to relocate the spring perches.
The engine is installed right up to the firewall.... the Glide is sitting on the stock crossmember.
Everything is aboutWhere it goes.

The stock setup was 235 six, powerglide and torque tube rearc (closed driveline.
I used a hurst front cradle mount.

I was told that a '57 chevy stock driveshaft would work.
The '56 yoke is stuffed into the tailshaft...and i have 57" from center to center.
I need to plumb brakes, weld mounts and get an exhaust bent up....need the driveshaft issue resolved though.
New custom shaft is $300+ from Inlan Empire Driveline...and $200+ from local shop.
I can pick up a 55-57 stock shaft locally for very little $$$
Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts