Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 belair 4 dr hard top, and have swaped the non running 283 with a used 350. replaced clutch and flywheel, intake manifold, carburetor, fuel pump, and alternater. refurbished the radiator, and attached an electric cooling fan. i have had the worst time trying to figure out how to wire everything because i am running 12 volts now, and wanting to bypass the 6v resistor. mechanical stuff is easy enough for me, but when it comes to wiring everything, i am completely lost. is there any step by step how to conversion charts or diagrams out there???? there has to be something, because ive seen about 8 other cars with the same engine.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,427 Posts
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!!
First, the 57 Chevy always had a 12 volt electrical system. The resistor was used to increase the life of the points. What type distributor are you using? The distributor will determine wheather you can eleminate the ballest resistor and how it's wired.
Are you using a internally regulated alternator? The type of alternator will determine how it's wired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i should prob take a few pics of it to show you, but the distributer/ignission coil is mallory destributer, and accel hei supercoil on top. the alternater is a 3 wire that came on the engine. it was a 350 longblock from a 1990 saburban. had to conver tbi to carburated.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
many electronic ignition systems dont need the ballast resistor. With a internal regulator alt you need to get one from a non guage vehicle. Those have the proper regulator for the gen light to work. The heavy wire will go to the batt. One of the smaller wires to the ignition switch and the other to the gen light. :anim_25: Randall

·
Registered
66,324 Posts
:hello: hi joe and welcome. good to have you here.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,427 Posts
thanx guys, and i will post a few pics of how things are going tomarrow.
We like pitchers. :)
To wire the ignition for with a high voltage, you need to run a heavier wire (12 or 14 gauge) , from the "IGN" terminal of the switch to the + coil terminal. The original 18 gauge tan wire on the switch is too small. Link to switch wires, (lower drawing)....http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-7.gif Leave the wire from the starter solenoid "R" terminal to the + coil.
To wire the 3 wire alternator, put a 8 or 10 gauge wire from the alternator output post to the battery or to the battery post on the starter. Connect the brown wire that was on the generator to the #1 terminal of the alternator. Put a small jumper wire between the #2 terminal of the alternator and the alternator output post. Extend the red wire from the horn relay to the alternator output post. That will provide power to the horn. The brown wire excites the alternator and allows the "gen" light to work. You can remove the other wires on the regulator and remove it. ...http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-17.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thanx guy, really. i wasnt able to get the pics today, i had to work late, and it was dark by the time i got home. not very easy to see everything even with the flash on the camera, but hopefully tomarrow will be alot shorter.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
many electronic ignition systems dont need the ballast resistor. With a internal regulator alt you need to get one from a non guage vehicle. Those have the proper regulator for the gen light to work. The heavy wire will go to the batt. One of the smaller wires to the ignition switch and the other to the gen light. :anim_25: Randall
The alternater does not care if you have guages or light unless its some aftermarket junk I have not yet run into, I have both on some cars. Like my 55 & 67 SS 350. One is an internal and the other external stock Delcos,

·
Senior Member 1 Silver Star Chat Room Moderator
1,418 Posts
Welcome from Colorado, USA!

Joe,

Welcome to the group. I stumbled on the picture of your 57 4dr HT in the photo gallery. Very touching story.... click the image to see the story.

Glad to see you putting in the effort to keep your grandfather's 57 going. You came to right place to get help with it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
:sign0016: to bowtie-trifive dirty joe!

:anim_25: with the conversion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts