Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut out some holes in my stainless left and right radiator panels for the top hose and condensor tubes to fit through and I stopped by today at my local service station ( friends with the owner) who told me he put some dressing up rubber around his panels so it wouldnt be sharp to cut into anything that passed through them but also it "dressed" up and covered the holes..he seemed to think they had some metal inside the rubber and you could cut them and shape them around the holes. Anybody familiar with this stuff and/or know where to get it?
Thanks in advance
Johnny

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
We,in the electrical business use a product called "Edge Guard".
It is designed for the very purpose you've asked about.
There are several types.
The type we use is about 1/2" wide black vinyl coved with metal inside that is notched so it can be easily bent around curves.It doesn't work well in small holes without wrinkling.
It does come in different sizes with the thin gap for sheetmetal and gets larger up to about 1/4".
Electrical suppliers have it,but on rolls of 20 foot,and it's expensive.
Another type is just plastic with notches so it will bend to fit curves.sold at the same place.
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I have been told recently that you can get the rubber trim for the edges of the holes through any Fasten All Store if you have one in your area. Before i found this out i had already did mine with black vinyl door edge trim i picked up at the auto parts store. Had to heat it up a little and of coarse cut it to proper length and work it into the edges of the hole but it worked out fine. I think it is available in chrome color as well and it already has the adheasive in it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe you could take some rubber tubing and slit it so that it would press on to the sharp edge. Then trim it to size. Just a thought.

:)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I usually make my own ,, take a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 vacuum hose cut it a little longer of the circumference of the hole and cut one side of it length wise with a sharp knife and work it over the "sharp" edge .some times if it is loose I put a little super glue in it. I hope I explained it clearly enough ..

·
Registered
689 Posts
I usually make my own ,, take a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 vacuum hose cut it a little longer of the circumference of the hole and cut one side of it length wise with a sharp knife and work it over the "sharp" edge .some times if it is loose I put a little super glue in it. I hope I explained it clearly enough ..
same here

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay...all the above good ideas...I have the 3/8 vacuum lines rubber but I thought the metal inside that was bendable would work better like the electric store somebody mentioned but 20 ft sheets...too expensive. How would you heat the chrome guard to bend it in a circle? Hot hair dryer? One of the holes I had to cut is an irregular size thats why a round grommet wouldnt fit there but the other side is a perfect circle...that would do it there.
I think the black rubber would call attention to the stainless steel and chrome and polished aluminum radiator. Again I like the chrome plastic guard idea so the condensor tubes dont get cut by the sharp stainless hole edges. Again whats the best way to heat it?
Thanks as usual for all the many replies...only thought Id get a few and a couple of what the heck are you talking about? But should have known car guys would know....:sign0020:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts