Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want my trunk lid to "POP Open" after I install the keyless solenoid. Anyone here with an idea?, or maybe have made your own trunk lid pop open and know how to achieve this? Seems to be the logical thing to do, but I do not have any idea of how to make it work yet. . .

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Are you using poppers to assist it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found poppers on-line, just in the beginning stages of inventing something. I was thinking of where to put it? maybe pushing on the hinge itself, or just pushing up from hte latch. It just needs to pop up enough to clear the latch, i was not thinking that the trunk lid to pop up all the way. Only one has thought about this?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Not sure if this is what your after or not but.... when I hit my truck remote button my trunk just pops up and is ready to lift open. I didn't do anything other than weather stripping :anim_25:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe once I get the weather striping on, the trunk lid will do that?, but it seams like the trunk lid is stif enough that it's going to just sit there and not move at all, so that is the reason I thought it would be nice to get it to pop up, 4 inches would be plenty. It needs like a spring, so it had some energy to rise on it's own.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My weather stripping was also enough to pop my trunk with the install. I would try the install first without the popper if you can. If not the popper will def do the job.:anim_25:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Maybe you could install a strut like on mini van rear tailgate windows to make the trunk open all the way after popping it open with the popper? Dave

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I just found poppers on-line, just in the beginning stages of inventing something. I was thinking of where to put it? maybe pushing on the hinge itself, or just pushing up from hte latch. It just needs to pop up enough to clear the latch, i was not thinking that the trunk lid to pop up all the way. Only one has thought about this?
Once you get the trunk seal in, it will pop up enough for that. I thought you wanted it all the way open. What condition are your hinges and torsion bars in?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the hinges and bars look good. It opens very nice and smooth. No i don't want it to open fully on it's own, just far enough so that after I push the button(keyless) that it pops up. Maybe the seal will be enough, but I just want to be sure because i would rather tweek it now, than after it is painted.

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
There was a guy on You tube that put in an auto trunk lifter for a 57, Holden which is part of GM use a pop system on all there Holden's that is push button release from the glove box.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I moved the tension bar up to the next notch, now it has a bit of a pop up.
That took care of it

thanks

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
For those thinking about an electric release>>>>>>> Just bought an Electric Life trunk opener kit...Waaay too "puny" to trip the latch, even B4 the lid is installed!
It went back to Summit, and I am ordering the 45# pull sol. [Unless someone has a better choice]

·
Registered
93 Posts
a different story

I put a manuel remote release in because with the battery in the trunk I wanted to be able to open if battery was dead. did this with a long choke cable and put a door handle on the left rear interior near the window crank so it looks like a door release which 2 doors don,t have. now just reach in and open the trunkn it pops about an inch with no assist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts