Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys well i live in Virginia and in the navy...Im from Maryland, drove the 55 up this past monday to do a muncie swap. got it all together here 11pm sat night. (need to be back in VA tomorrrow) So far the clutch goes down with risistance then comes back half way. Im not sure if i have the wrong throw out bearing or what. I put in a brand new zoom kevlar clutch and it came with the short style throw out bearing. Im also using a stock cast iron 57 chevy belhousing mounted to the frame and using a stock style clutch fork....everything came from ol'55. Also just to top it all off, i bought a brand new summit 4speed shifter and it just does not seem to be working right with all the linkages off except 1 it is really grindy and very hard to find Nutral. Its so jacked up feeling. was wondering if anyone has experience with this shifter and if it is a POS or am i doing something wrong.. Again guys i am seriously running out of time and i might have to leave the 55 in maryland and buy a bus ticket if i cant get this sorted

Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
449 Posts
What is the proper way to adjust my Hurst four speed shifter?

There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers. This is called the neutral alignment hole. To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral. Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit) into the neutral alignment hole. If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the interference. Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse. To adjust the stop bolts, back the bolts out of the shifter frame until only a few threads remain. Push the stick firmly into third gear and hold. Screw in the stop bolt until contact is made. Release the stick and back the stop bolt out one turn and tighten the jamnut. Push the stick into fourth gear and repeat the procedure. They must have given you a neutral gate pin tool? if not do the above, as far as the clutch goes you may have it mis adjusted or something is binding the linkage you should have about 1/4 to 1/8 freeplay before the throwout bearing touches the pressure plate. You could have the lever stop bolts not letting the shifter fully engage into gear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for such a qick response...I think I have the wrong throw out bearing for the clutch fork that I got for ol'55 the bellhousing and clutch fork are 56-57 and I think that fork and adjustment rod requires a long throw out bearing and I have a short one.....would u have any inputs on this.....as far as the shifter...I only have the 1-2 rod hooked up and it fights me to go into nutral or any gears for that matter it feels as if nothing in the shifter itself is lubricated. Very rough and grindy feeling. So I'm really not sure what the deal is with that....so again any help and inputs is awesome

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey thanks for such a qick response...I think I have the wrong throw out bearing for the clutch fork that I got for ol'55 the bellhousing and clutch fork are 56-57 and I think that fork and adjustment rod requires a long throw out bearing and I have a short one.....would u have any inputs on this.....as far as the shifter...I only have the 1-2 rod hooked up and it fights me to go into nutral or any gears for that matter it feels as if nothing in the shifter itself is lubricated. Very rough and grindy feeling. So I'm really not sure what the deal is with that....so again any help and inputs is awesome
Lube up the shifter any shifter you have to align the neutral gate and adjust the stops, for some reason you may have the bolts holding the shifter to the mounting plate to tight or you have it misaligned to the mount plate and when you tighten the bolts it binds it up, if you need a longer throw out bearing your screwed unless a Auto Zone or parts store ar open Sunday or Monday have to be up at 5am thats it for me tonite good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The throw out bearing (clutch release bearing) length depends on the pressure plate style. the diaphram pressure plate (the one with many fingers) uses the longer bearing. the long or ford style (three fingers) use the short bearing. hope this helps. grady

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
The throw out bearing (clutch release bearing) length depends on the pressure plate style. the diaphram pressure plate (the one with many fingers) uses the longer bearing. the long or ford style (three fingers) use the short bearing. hope this helps. grady
Gratru is correct, Generally, It depends on the pressure plate you are using. Diaphrams usually take a long bearing and three fingers usually take a short, but I have seen diaphram pressure plates that use a short, So--- It all depends,

I would think, If you got the pressure plate and throwout bearing in the same package, They should match.

With the bottom pan off you should be able to see if the pressure plate is comming off the clutch plate when someone steps on the clutch. I am thinking its a linkage adjustment problem.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,059 Posts
O3AC.....Being an old Navy guy myself, I can sympathize with your problem.....Are you sure you have the clutch in with the correct side toward the flywheel? :confused0006:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys I really thank u all for the help....the issue was that the throw out bearing was the short style and I needed the long one...the kit came with the short but I think because I have a original bellhousing it needed the longer one. Well that problem is solved. I'm still having issues with the brand new summit racing shifter it just seems like its so grimy and rough the rods have so much play on the shift plates that the hold pins barly stay in....I think its just a crap shifter but I might be doing something wrong....what do u guys think

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought that same shifter and had nothing but trouble with it. As much as i hated to spend the money i bought a hurst with the proper install kit, and it has been trouble free since day 1. Summit is usually good about taking things back.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
more on throw out bearings

The diaphram pressure plate comes in two styles, a multi fingered Raised finger
And the other one a multi finger flat fingers piece

This raised and flat description relates to how the fingers look inside the pressure plate.

The raised finger takes the short throw out bearing
The flat finger takes the long throw out bearing

Just wondering, what came out of your car?

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Well guys I really thank u all for the help....the issue was that the throw out bearing was the short style and I needed the long one...the kit came with the short but I think because I have a original bellhousing it needed the longer one. Well that problem is solved. I'm still having issues with the brand new summit racing shifter it just seems like its so grimy and rough the rods have so much play on the shift plates that the hold pins barly stay in....I think its just a crap shifter but I might be doing something wrong....what do u guys think
It's difficuklt to picture a new shifter grimy and rough, shot some wd40 in it to get started. did you get a diagram with it? Make sure that the 1-2 shift ear is on the 1-2 shift cam. First and second shift cam is toward the rear of the car and 3-4 is toward the front of the car. If you get these reversed it can cause you shifting problems. To be sure is this shifter a new Competition Plus Shifter?
Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.