Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just scored another complete front clip for my car. It's NOT as nice as the original one, (which I DO NOT want to cut/modify). Anyway, i want to make it a tilt. I've got an idea how to do it, but pictures of how others have done it would be GOOD. Thanks !

oh yeah, i'm using a stock frame.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have pictures of it anymore, but way back in the day, I made one tilt by bolting the hood to the fenders from beneath, then removing the rear bumper mount bolt and slightly loosening the front one. Lengthen the wire, and unless you want to have two people to open the front at all times, you have to cut the lower part of the fender from the upper, somewhere below the top of the whel well. I used an old Spitfire hood latch to hold mine down. The removal of the rear bolt let the whole front tilt, using the front bolt as a pivot. Remove the bottom radiator support bolts, and the whole thing comes forward, including the bumper.

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I just bolted my fenders to the hood and built a tilt support for the whole thing, but my god is it heavy! After looking at what have to do to make it more user friendly I decided to go with fiberglass. The steel just weighs to much. I know some guys on here have done it so maybe they will be able to help out. For me it just looked like scratched paint waiting to happen.
Rick

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, after sitting in front of the car and thinking of all the ways i've seen it done, (for hours!!) and considering i just CAN'T cut any of the sheetmetal, i'm gonna skip this idea. i AM going to make the hood a "lift off", it'll just make servicing the engine a bit easier. maybe i'll come up with a fiberglass nose one of these days, but it's a '56 so...........

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Didn't someone do one that slides forward a few inches then tilts to cure the fender/body clearance issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts