Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I have posted on the Nomad Forum. I have a 56 Nomad that I have had stored for the last 30 years. I bought it with the intentions of repainting it and doing a mild resto. Well life got in the way and it never happened. I am now head first in the build of our 57 2 dr ht and cant make up my mind if I want to do another frame off major renovation when the 57 is finished or sell it. The Nomad has a lot of potential. The guy I bought it from had everything rechromed. It will need front floor pans, rear seat pans, rear cargo floor, wheel tubs and some minor patching in front of the rear wheels. The front fenders are rust free and the rest of the body is fairly straight. all side glass will need replaced also. All of the exterior stainless is there and most only needs polishing. The car is complete except for the front seat. What do you guys think?? Keep it and rebuild or put it up for sale.
Thanks
Tom

68,758 Posts
if you need the money to help finish the 57, than maybe sell it. if not, maybe wait until the 57 is done and on the road to make a decission. you have had it all these years, so it really is up to what is right for you. :stupido2:

·
Administrator
49,940 Posts
Tom that will all have to be up to you. Do you have the motivation? Do you have the funds to start and complete it? Do you have the strong will to get into another build and see it through to the end? Just a couple of things to think about.
Terry

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Tom,

This story sounds way too familiar to me since we seem to be in parallel universes with a 56 Nomad as a wormhole. I too bought one a while ago with the intentions of doing a frame off, power everything, yadda, yadda, yadda. Well, I also had another car I was doing and my trifive interests waned so I found myself not sure of the Nomad's fate:rolleyes:. Sell, keep it, sell... So what I did for some motivation was to throw a quickie paint job on and some new tires and see how that faired. That lit the fire a little, but I still wasn't done with my other car. So the Nomad sat. And sat...and sat. Everytime I wanted to sell I'd advertise it and when someone wanted pictures, pull the car out and snap some photos. Then I'd sit behind that 18" steering wheel, take in all the lines of the car and figure out why I wanted one in the first place. I get cold feet and don't sell it. The it sits...and sits....

I finally sold the other car I was working on and focused on the Nomad last month. But, I decided my Nomad didn't need a full blown off the frame resto nor did I have the energy to do that to it, so I compromised. I replaced the floors, rewired the whole car, added new brakes, dressed up the engine and such, and will have a new interior on the way from Ciadella at month's end. This basically allowed me to get the car on the road quick without having to worry about everything being done over the course of a decade. And most importantly, I changed the vision I had of the car to get to the final result quicker based on the condition it sat at the time. All the chrome will still need to be replaced. The bodywork is far from perfect, but to compromise I'm going to flatten out the white/black two tone so the bumps and dings won't be a flaw in the finish, but actually compliment the look. With worn chrome, a 2" lowered stance, 17" wheels, flat paint with a nice dark blue interior, it'll be a presentable ride yet not too "rat-roddy". I worked with what I had to make a nice ride out of it without having a multi-buck resto on my hands. Maybe do a frame on type deal where you fix what's needed to get the car running, then do the rest later?:confused0006: Will I sell mine when done? Who knows? Probably, since my car interests are off the charts (the wife wants to check me into the Henry Ford clinic:cool: ). But at least I will break even if not make a buck on the car since I did the work myself. I guess the jist of that whole long winded paragraph is there is more than one way to skin a cat, and not every car has to under go a full blown nut and bolt resto to be put back driving. Anyway, a little food for thought....

Good luck with whatever you decide...:tu

Cheers :anim_32:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Personally I would rather keep it and build it. I have always wanted a 56 Nomad after I rode in one a friend had back in the late 60's. I do have a Vortec headed 350TPI engine and a 700R4 that I built for the 57, I could put in it. I guess I could sell my 66, 396 360 hp 4 spd ElCamino. Cant keep them all, not enough garage space. Maybe I could talk the wife into driving it after she retires next year. This all started when I was asked if I wanted to sell it by an acquaintance of mine. He said he knew someone who wanted it. After the guy looked at it he decided it would be more work and cost more money than he wanted to spend. Guess he wanted to buy a perfect car for nothing. After I finish the 57 project I will decide what I want to do with it. It is not costing me anything sitting in the shed. After looking it over it will be less work than the 57 I am now building. By the way it was black & white from the factory and has the padded dash. If I do decide to sell it later I will let you guys know first.
Later
Tom

·
Registered
174 Posts
The price of building materials is down, do your part to help stimulate the economy by adding on to your garage, just a thought?:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts