Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding power steering to my car. Here's the details...

Type II power steering pump - with remote resevoir
short water pump
high mount alternator bracket (by March) - mounts inside of valve cover
crankshaft has double pulley
water pump has single groove pulley

The problem i'm having is the alternator sits too far forward....i think.

The questions....

Does the power steering pump drive off of the 2nd crank pulley groove (closest to radiator)?

Does the alternator drive off of the water pump and the 1st groove of the crank pulley (closest to motor)?

I think the answer to both of these is yes...

If that's the case what can be causing my problem? I checked the alt bracket and the alternator cannot be moved any further back without grinding down the mount on the alternator. It doesn't look like the alt pulley can be any closer. Feedback and guideance is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
Hi Ari,
Actually I don't think it matters which groove you use for which device.
As you already have a double groove crank pulley I think you have two choices

1. Align the crank and water pump pulley with spacers so that it will fit the alternator mount. Use any grooves to make it all fit.
2. Get a new alternator mount that will line up with any of the current, available grooves.

Do you have AC as well?
How was everything connected (which groove/grooves were used) before you added the power steering pump?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thomas,

To answer your questions...I don't have a/c.... The alternator was mounted outside of the valve cover and there were only single grove pulleys.

I think i'm going to try another mount... I just ordered the mount that CPP sells and see if that works for me.

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
OK Ari,
I had double grooves on the crank before I installed the power steering, one groove (front one) was used for the crank/water pump/alternator.
When installing the power steering pump I was lucky enough just have to make a very small spacer for the original BB mount that came with the pump :)

Here's a picture that shows parts of my installation

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
On most short WP applications, the PS pump is driven off the THIRD groove of the crank. The third groove is an add-on pulley that just nests with the existing single or double groove crank pulley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.