Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone can give me some input on buying a new starter. Building a 383 w/about 500+HP, 10.75 static compression ratio, manual tranny, 168 tooth flywheel. 'Bout ready to fire this thing up and need a new starter.

Many options out there now and just not sure...inline vs staggered, mini, hi-torque, etc , etc...man, not like the ol' days. Hoping someone can give me some good input on what to buy here.

Why such a big price difference between this and this ?
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Price difference is due to quality.

Check out these guys. Last time I checked, they build and support their starters in California: http://www.hitorque.com/

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
Look at a late model permanent magnet gear reduction starter. Same technology as a mini starter, but the motor is bigger. And if it lays down on you, you get a replacement at a local auto supply. Somebody posted a link for a $55 starter like that just last week.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at a late model permanent magnet gear reduction starter. Same technology as a mini starter, but the motor is bigger. And if it lays down on you, you get a replacement at a local auto supply. Somebody posted a link for a $55 starter like that just last week.
So something along these lines ? Some further research says...The diagonal bolt pattern is what you want for the 168 tooth flywheel. Is that true ? Is this one fit that bill ?

...this is from RockAuto for a 1995 CHEVROLET C1500 PICKUP 5.7L V8 w/ Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction.

Will this fit my engine ? It's a later model block, '87 up w/1-piece rear main seal.

Not a bad price either, only $83.79 ! :congrats:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Don, aka the hamsman recommended this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250567682808?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D250567682808%26_rdc%3D1

8 pound starter, permanent magnet gear reduction starter. Recommended for engines with compression ratios up to 11:1.
Fits applications for both automatic or manual transmissions with 153 or 168 tooth flywheels for Chevy and GMC vehicles using 262(4.3L), 305(5.0L), 307, 327, 350(5.7L), 396, 400(6.6L), 402, 427, 454(7.4L) engines. Replaces starters with the staggered mounting bolt pattern....what's the difference between a diagonal bolt pattern vs staggered ?

Looks like a nice one at a nice price.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
Yes the later model starters are the same as the early ones as far as what flywheel they work with. Diagonal for 168 tooth, straight across for 153 tooth.

I don't remember who posted the $55 one, but it was only 3-4 days ago max.

Watch for core charges on these starters. If you don't have a core that will affect the price. Core charges used to be real high, they have come down but they still vary.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went and looked at my block...it has the 3 holes, one a little further ahead of the other two....will either of the two above work with this block ? Keeping in mind, using Williams classic chassis headers...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
I just went and looked at my block...it has the 3 holes, one a little further ahead of the other two....will either of the two above work with this block ?
Almost all blocks that have holes at all are that way. You can mount either starter. The starter needs to match the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Some further research says...The diagonal bolt pattern is what you want for the 168 tooth flywheel. Is that true ?
Here's the AC Delco permanent magnet starter I'm running on my small block with 168T flywheel. It was made in the USA and rebuilt in AC Delco's Mexican plant.
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-323-4...id=1372078572&sr=8-1&keywords=ACDelco+323-485

Rock Auto has the same P/N for $198, but they also show two new AC Delco starters #3371018 and #3371022 for $95 and $121. These are listed under 1999 Chevy K1500 pickup with 5.7 engine. I have no idea why the new ones have different P/Ns and are less expensive than new.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks David and Rick for the replies...may run down to one of the local stores to see if they have one of those truck starters first. Be nice to get it and see if it fits and return it easily if not, then one of the others maybe if not....

Thanks again,
Ken

Oh, btw....would a Quicktime bellhousing in any way be an issue with any of these starters ? Can't imagine why, but thought I'd ask ?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
To your original question about price difference between summit and msd brand starter...there is a HUGE difference in quality too, those aftermarket style made in China starters without bendix support are very short living stuff and unfortunately that same goes with powermaster´s lower price range starters too. My advice is original style starter like others have recommended or some high-end Tilton. Those California made starters which MikeB linked looks like a good stuff also.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts