Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to drag my 57 2 dr hardtop home and trying to get my home shop well equipt. Car has been in storage for over 10 years and not been touched. this will be my first build. I'd like to get a welder, not only for the chevy build, but also for other odds and ends - and quite frankly, I've always wanted a welder. I'm think MIG is the way to go, but don't know whether to ease into things with a 110 model, or just take the plunge and jump to 220. I'll be a beginner - welded before, but very little and a long time ago. I've seen the Miller 211, which operates on both, which sounds nice for the portability, etc. i just don't want to buy something that doesn't get me started on the right foot or that i'll be sorry with. Guys - give me some help. models and price range - THANKS!

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Getting ready to drag my 57 2 dr hardtop home and trying to get my home shop well equipt. Car has been in storage for over 10 years and not been touched. this will be my first build. I'd like to get a welder, not only for the chevy build, but also for other odds and ends - and quite frankly, I've always wanted a welder. I'm think MIG is the way to go, but don't know whether to ease into things with a 110 model, or just take the plunge and jump to 220. I'll be a beginner - welded before, but very little and a long time ago. I've seen the Miller 211, which operates on both, which sounds nice for the portability, etc. i just don't want to buy something that doesn't get me started on the right foot or that i'll be sorry with. Guys - give me some help. models and price range - THANKS!
Welcome to tri-5
glad to hav u on board
miller good :tu But I went with a Lincoln tho, sounds like uve did some research too :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
make sure it has gas ,my small one does not and i wish it did.your welds will look better even if you have not welded much .i use my small lincon for spot welding with flux core wire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey 57eyes the question between 110 and 220 is how thick of material you are welding and how long the 110 has a very low duty cycle so it will cut out sooner and take longer to regain full power. I know my boss uses a 110 for all his bodywork but that is because it is light and you are not welding for hours on end. Definetly get a welder that uses gas though, much easier welding and clean up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
First welcome to the club and you'll have to ask yourself what you want to do with the welder since you said do body work and other things. Like the others said make sure you get a mig that uses gas. Are you going to just use it in your garage or do you think you might want something more portable. The Miller you mentioned would be a good one for you, you want to make sure you buy one that you can turn down far enough to do smaller jobs like welding body panels but be able to turn it up for larger jobs. I bought my Miller from IOC ( Indiana oxygen) their on Ebay and they have the best price that I found for new Miller welders & free shipping to.

Mark

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just bought a Hobart 210, it's a 220 volt (made by Miller), and just received it today. I have been using a Campbell Housfield 110 volt but wasn't happy with that. I suspect I'll load the 110 unit with flux wire and the 220 unit with solid wire. The 110 did good on 14,16 & 18 gauge but that was about it.

I still like my Oxy/Acet torch for versitility.

My Hobart 210 came from e-bay as a reconditioned unit for $730.00 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-Handler-210-Wire-Feed-MIG-Welder-500526-R_W0QQitemZ390189383198QQcategoryZ46413QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D20%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8821046663455816501

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,234 Posts
You really will want "MIG" for sheetmetal work, the gas makes such a cleaner weld. A 110v unit will work fine for most sheetmetal work.

I had a lincoln 110v unit setup with mig I bought from Lowes for $399. It paid for it self ten fold. But was to small to support what I wanted to weld. It's limit with MIG process was 3/16'' thickness. And it was limited duty cycle wise.

I doubt you will duty cycle a 110v unit when doing sheetmetal as your stitch welding alot of it.

I now have a Hobart 210 and love it!!!! Its 220v but is well worth it. I paid $899 shipped from northern tools.

I would get this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073

$479.99 shipped!!!!

Then pick you up a bottle of gas mix as well

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm not sure why I didn't see this before.

I've got the Miller 211. I think it's the cat's meow, bee's knees, etc. It's my first welder purchase. Like you, I had welded a long, long time ago but nothing recently. I figured the multivoltage thing was a real bonus and it is. I had to weld an anchor for my BBQ in my back yard. I ran the power cord through my sliding glass door and into my kitchen... and welded my BBQ to the cement pad with J-bolts in the cement. How would I have got a 220v line to my back yard? Also, I took my welder to my dad's house to weld in floor panels in his car - his house doesn't have a 220v plug.

I've got a good friend with a Lincoln 110v welder. I had him give my Miller a try and he was really impressed. When my welder was plugged into 110v he said the welder just felt smoother than his Lincoln, maybe the wire feed was better or? But he liked it a lot.

I'm pretty sure this will be my first and last welder purchase. If my needs ever grow to doing some more serious metal or I need a better duty cycle then just plug into 220v!

Like Oleblu72 said, check out Indiana Oxygen on eBay. That's who I bought my welder from. They had the best price around and 100% positive feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts