Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody:

Many of us are living the nightmare of the body shops that do not do their job well and you have to take the car to another place, this happens to me, but only this time the body of my chevy 55 is not on the chasis and a complete quarter panel is removed and the new one is just tag welded, there is no front of the car,the body has some reinforces welded before they remove the quarter panel so the body is partially solid, I have the bare chasis with a friend ready to install new air suspension, but no way to use it, so my question which is the best way to move the body to the new location in a platform tow truck ..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:eek: Whatever you do, do NOT lift it from the top !! And be sure to put braces in criss-cross X in the doors and from side to side in a couple of places before you do any lifting.
I would lift one end up and slide a 4x4 underneath and set the 4x4 ends on some wheel dollies and then repeat the procedure on the other end. You could slide a 4x8 sheet of heavy plywood inbetween the 4x4's and the car body.

This should let you get it on the truck, but knowing exactly what type and size of truck you have to haul it may change what you can use ?

hope this helps in some way?

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I made a heavy wooden platform about 4 foot by 4 foot and put 4 swivel wheels from HF, I believe they were 8 in. Put the body on this and rolled it onto a trailer to transport.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the info, do you have any idea the weight of the body itself without de front end an nothing but the bare metal ??

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Just

I made a heavy wooden platform about 4 foot by 4 foot and put 4 swivel wheels from HF, I believe they were 8 in. Put the body on this and rolled it onto a trailer to transport.
Jim
keep it low and make some provisions for bolting the body to the cart, regardless of what material you use.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Completely bare body, no doors, and no front end.... just the shell is between 500 and 600 lbs, 6 guys can pick it up without too much trouble, like mentioned above, as you only have tack welds in places, make sure you are well braced and supported before moving.

Good luck, it sounds like a huge hassle for ya.

Gil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Completely bare body, no doors, and no front end.... just the shell is between 500 and 600 lbs, 6 guys can pick it up without too much trouble, like mentioned above, as you only have tack welds in places, make sure you are well braced and supported before moving.

Good luck, it sounds like a huge hassle for ya.

Gil
Hey Gil, thanks for the info, yeah is a real hassle, but a had the car for such a long time that I want to finish it, is a challenge but at the end is worth it, I had the car finished on my mine is just a matter of making it real .......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts