Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My '55 has traction bars and air shocks on the rear and I can't seem to get the body raised enough to show the rims. I added about an inch worth of washers to the top of each shock thinking that would do it but at 80 lbs of pressure in the schocks it still sits at the same height. Are the traction bars interfering with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Let the "need to raise my rear" jokes commence.:sign0020::sign0020:
Personally I'm 6'4 so mines fine..:party0031: (Sorry Husker)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Increasing rear suspension ride height

Guys,

My '55 has traction bars and air shocks on the rear and I can't seem to get the body raised enough to show the rims. I added about an inch worth of washers to the top of each shock thinking that would do it but at 80 lbs of pressure in the schocks it still sits at the same height. Are the traction bars interfering with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
If the very front end of the traction bar does not have a loop style U bolt that goes over the spring, then no, it is not influencing your ride height. A close up photo of the front end of the traction bar, where it meets the spring would confirm this. It is a little too small to see for sure in your attached photo. Slapper style traction bars are supposed to have a slight gap between the forward rubber bumper and the front spring eye. That gap closes under acceleration, as the axle tries to wrap the springs into an "S" shape, as the front end (pinion nose) of the axle tries to rotate upwards. You may have to go with new rear springs, with more arch in them, assuming that you do not want to go the cheap route of using extended rear shackles. If you do not have an add on rear shock upper crossmember, air shocks will typically crack the metal at the upper shock mount in a stock floor.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My traction bars that clamp to the front of the spring actually lowered the rear a little. IMO I would stay away from the air shocks or get a shock re-locater set up that takes the stress off of the trunk floor.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I just looked closer at your picture, those are the same traction bars I have on mine which lowered it a little, could be part of the problem.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts
Husker.....By the looks of your photo, the rear shackles are installed correctly.....I doubt if the traction bars are causing your problem.....More than likely you need new springs.....How many leaf are yours-probably four......Recommend go to five leaf.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
AIR SHOCKS AREN'T MADE TO RAISE YOUR CAR

I AM THINKING THIS IS BECOMING JUST LIKE BACK IN THE DAY WORKING AT THE SHOP. "DO NOT USE AIRSHOCKS AS A PERMANENT LIFTING DEVICE. YOU DON'[T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE SEEN KIDS PUT ALL THE AIR THEY CAN INTO THEIR AIR SHOCKS THEN RUN OVER A ROUGH RAILROAD CROSSING AND BEND THE SHOCK RODS YES INCLUDING THE 1/2 AND 5/8 SHAFT MODELS IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM."tHE BODY HAS TO MUCH MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE SO DON'T DO IT BECAUSE YOUR TRI-FIVE WILL BE "HURTIN FOR CERTAIN" GOT IT!! THERE HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO GET UP ON THE PULPIT AGAIN:anim_25:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
As you know the 55 has "built in" skirts.
If you want to show your wheels without getting up to nose bleed height, you'll have to cut out the openings.

·
Registered
535 Posts
im running the same set up as you traction bars stock leafs in the rear and air shocks..what i did was buy the 3" shocks extension from jegs 11 bucks so after i got them i took 3 extra nuts threaded them onto the shock than took the shock extension and threaded that on gave a couple turns than back the nuts up to meet the bottom of the extension and whoulda ya know extra 2" in the rear with 100 pounds of air in my rear shocks i had to lift the rear more due to a big slick and i also radiused the wheel wells mine is a gasser of course ...good luck if you need help let me know ...oh 1 more thing it ride preety good ..dosnt slam down on bumps stay preety still im only running this set up till i make a relocater kit for the shocks so it takes the stress off the floor ,.,..,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting point! If you weren't going to use air shocks to raise the body a little what would you recommend as a correct alternative?

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got shock extensions made by Mr. Gasket and that did the trick! Thanks for all the advice and humor...

Tony

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Extended shackles was the old school way to raise the rear.
There's probably someone here that has a set they took off.
I'd offer mine, but they were home made by a PO and hacked out with a torch. :eek:
New ones came with my pocket kit.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got shock extensions made by Mr. Gasket and that did the trick! Thanks for all the advice and humor...

Tony
So Tony all you did was to put shock extensions on and that raised the rear up? Are you still using the air shocks? I can see how this would add lift if you kept the air shocks but I am wondering how you can add lift with regular shocks without adding extended shackles?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Get IT!!

what don't you understand about dumb and stupid . Using air shocks to lift the body is putting the lives of you ,your passengers, and any pedestrians near you on the line. Move the mounts or higher arch springs. but shocks were made to control the actions of the springs. if only one breaks you have the body on a tire followed quickly by a series of flips, yours . Want your baby hurt? Go ahead MR. Webster will soon have your picture in his dictionary care to guess where?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I'm not!

Im stayn out of this one :eek:
try standing up!:sign0020:

Do you have a problem blowing sand in your shoes???:eek::D

·
Registered
206 Posts
wow the nastiness that some people have. im sure the great members of this site can advise someone without being so nasty about it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
wow the nastiness that some people have. im sure the great members of this site can advise someone without being so nasty about it.
yeah I got one on a post I made and the poster has never seen my car let alone seen it run....sheesh:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts