Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the mufflers on my 55, which are too loud and obnoxious sounding. The tailpipes have turndowns that end just before the bumper. I need it quieter without losing that throaty rumble, and I want to extend the tailpipes just a little past the rear bumper.

I was thinking that resonators installed between the rear axle and the bumper might kill two birds with one stone. What has been your experience with resonators? Do they work? How do I pick one? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would suggest maybe moving the mufflers to the rear of the car providing you have room on both sides. Adding more pipe in the center plus having the mufflers out back will make it quieter , or at least that's been my experience. Your mufflers aren't very larger so you might have room for them. The other thing would be to replace them . I'm running super turbo 2 1/4 inch on my small block 55. They're deep tone wise and not very loud but loud enough to give it a nice rumble with no blat at all...

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
x or h pipes might help too. :anim_25:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had resonators on a 66 Charger & they really quiten the exhaust. I think u will b pleased with them.....that was my experience....beautiful undercarriage by the way...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know what brand those are.

but doubt the do alot to dampen the noise,
for good looks and excellent sound control ( yet still throaty)
I'd recommend stainless steel magnaflow, the looks will match your existing exhaust system, and they sound good!
I think with resonators , you will still have too much noise,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would suggest maybe moving the mufflers to the rear of the car providing you have room on both sides. Adding more pipe in the center plus having the mufflers out back will make it quieter , or at least that's been my experience. Your mufflers aren't very larger so you might have room for them. The other thing would be to replace them . I'm running super turbo 2 1/4 inch on my small block 55. They're deep tone wise and not very loud but loud enough to give it a nice rumble with no blat at all...
That's the descriptive word I'm looking for BLAT!! I want to get rid of the BLAT without "neutering" the deep rumble.

50's Guy, thanks, but I can only take credit for buying the car after it was done. The builder almost took more care on the bottom than he did on the top!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Anytime you add long tailpipe to a performance style muffler, you WILL get the "BLAT" noise. You either have to move them to the rear of the car or not run any tailpipes. The longer the pipe in front of the mufflers, they will get alittle quieter and with the mufflers at the rear of the car, the sound will still be the same but that loud blat will be gone....

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I put a pair of Flomaster 40s on back under the rear seat area and it was too loud and , blat..blat .. blat..
I had the muffler shop put in a pair or 18" Glasspacks up front farther and it worked great. Less $$ than going to larger mufflers.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts