Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well for starters i have a 1957 chevy i have the serial number and the engine number style, body number,paint number and trim number but what i am lacking is the vin . how do i find out how to get one ? it is not located on the car nor the frame . plz if anyone can help that would be great

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,968 Posts
well for starters i have a 1957 chevy i have the serial number and the engine number style, body number,paint number and trim number but what i am lacking is the vin . how do i find out how to get one ? it is not located on the car nor the frame . plz if anyone can help that would be great
On U.S. production cars the partial VIN was stamped on TOP of the frame under the drivers seat area. You have to clean the area and use a mirror to see it. The complete vin should be on a plate on the drivers door post. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/14-5.gif
If neither is there, your Department of Motor Vehicles or equivelent may assign a vin with the proper paperwork.
When you say "serial number", is this the number on the cowl tag? The cowl tag has the body number, not the number in the vin. I don't know of any way of connecting the body number to the vin number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ty for the info the frame was tampered with so there is no vin plate there nor is there one on the door post . can you tell me with the serial number can i get any info off of that

·
Registered
479 Posts
It sounds like you have a Canadian built car. Canadian cars did not have a tag on the door pillar but had two tags on the cowl or firewall. On 57's they should be under the wiper motor. The serial number you have on the tag is what would today be called the VIN (vehicle identification number).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
ty for the info the frame was tampered with so there is no vin plate there nor is there one on the door post . can you tell me with the serial number can i get any info off of that
Just to clear this up a bit there isn't a vin plate on the frame, the number was stamped into the frame in a couple of very hard to see locations and usually wasn't stamped very good...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts